You are here

Which Compressor Plugin

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Which Compressor Plugin

Postby Guitarman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 am

Hi Guys

I am running Logic Pro on my Mac Mini and I want to get a Compressor Plugin.

Problem is there are so many I don't know which one to go for.

I do like the Waves stuff but I am open to suggestions.

It is to be used for Guitar.

Thanks

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Re: Which Compressor Plugin

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 am

What about the ones you already have bundled with Logic? I'm sure they're perfectly capable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guitarman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Elf

I have this idea that a dedicated compressor from the likes of Waves
would be better,maybe not.

As I said I am open to suggestion.

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Postby Bossman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:23 am

Logic's own bundled compressor is ok.. does what it says on the tin. If I have to, I can do a mix using only Logic's bundled plugins... and I have done this plenty. The compressor is pretty good, so is the channel EQ.. space designer also good. delays are usable.. everything you need is there.

If you want something with more colour/character then there are loads of choice, and it comes down to how much you want to spend.. UAD make some really nice emulations but you have to buy the DSP cards (or Aollo interface) to run them on. Waves also make some good plugins. and between those companies there is everything you could need (at least for me).

Your just gonna have to try some demos and see which ones you like. A lot of it is down to workflow, and how easy the interface is to use. For example some compressors are fairly complex with a lot of controls, Logic's compressor would fit into that category... and others are much simpler with just a gain reduction control and everything else is automatic... a lot of Waves and UAD compressors a more like this, for example the UAD LA-2A just has two controls, one for gain and one for peak-reduction.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:19 pm

Guitarman wrote:I have this idea that a dedicated compressor from the likes of Waves
would be better,maybe not.

Waves do make some great plugs, IMO, but bundled plugs have become better and better, and do the basics extremely well.

Given that you've already paid for the plugs you have you owe it to yourself to try them out thoroughly before laying out more money on the basis of what may be considered subjectively 'better' by other people.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Currents » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Two of my faves are McDsp's 6030 Ultimate Compressor which gives you a number of flavours and Softubes CL1B.
Definetely demo to see what you think though.
There are so many out there it can be pretty confusing to make the right choice.
Eddy Currents
Regular

Postby Guitarman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks for the replies
Bossman has hit the nail on the head,some compressors are complicated with lots of controls,Logics compressors come into this category.

I did have UAD Compressors,the LA-2A being my favourite,simple controls and did what I wanted.

This is what I am looking for and unless I fork out for a UAD 2 Satellite which does not make sense,I reckon
another LA-2A or similar is what I am looking for.

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Postby afterworks » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Have a look at the URS Console Strip Pro...

Has a boat load of different modelled comps and eq's in one plugin.
afterworks
Regular

Postby Bossman » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Guitarman wrote:...some compressors are complicated with lots of controls,Logics compressors come into this category.

I did have UAD Compressors,the LA-2A being my favourite,simple controls and did what I wanted.

exactly..

you could probably get similar results from Logic's own compressor, if you know what your doing with all the controls.. but compressors like the LA-2A allow you to stick it on the channel and adjust one control and your there.. much quicker to setup and instant results... which for most people is exactly what they want.

I would check out the Waves plugins.. they do a LA2A emulation, along with other classics... there is the One Knob series... and also the Signature series of plugins would be worth checking out.. there are some dedicated guitar plugins which have compression amongst other effects in a complete-all-in-one processing chain. If you like the sound of instant results, then this is probably the way to go.

Plugins like the One Knob series and the Signature series are plugins made for musicians (IMHO), not sound engineers...they don't assume that you know how to use a compressor (for example). Whereas most other plugins are made for engineers and you have to know what your doing to get good results.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Loads of companies do native LA2A plugins, including IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, Cakewalk, Waves and so on...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby G-Doubleyou » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 pm

I have an Apollo, and IK's T-Racks Custom shop.

The IK plugs for their price come close, and the have some nice channel strips also.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby turbodave » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:06 am

Hi, I still use Cytomic "The Glue" quite a bit. Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Guitarman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks Guys

I did look at the IK Multimedia T-Racks LA-2A,but considering the price everyone
else wants for the same thing I didn't think it would be much good.

Better try the demo.

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Postby caveman82 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 am

I use PSP Audio's Old Timer.

My favourite compressor for acoustic and electric guitar. There are a lot of great ones out there but I find that one the easiest to use!
caveman82
Frequent Poster

Postby blue manga » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am

afterworks wrote:Have a look at the URS Console Strip Pro...

Has a boat load of different modelled comps and eq's in one plugin.

unless u work in 64bit
blue manga
Frequent Poster