You are here

2008 MacBook Pro freezes up

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

2008 MacBook Pro freezes up

Postby danielhuw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:16 am

I've got a MacBook Pro 17" (Model A1261), 2.6 GHz, Early 2008.

After a few minutes use, the system freezes and the screen displays "digital noise". screen photo

I can restart the system by resetting the PRAM on power up. However the fault re-occurs a few minutes later. Any Ideas what the fault is? If I need a repair centre, can anyone recommend somewhere I could send it to?

Many thanks
Dan
danielhuw
Poster

Re: 2008 MacBook Pro freezes up

Postby Wimek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:59 pm

It sounds like a hardware problem. The first step I would take is to run the Apple Hardware diagnostics. I'm not completely sure, but as far as I remember it works like: insert the original MacOS install disk, restart while holding down the "D" key on the keyboard. If that works you should get a relatively simple menu where you can choose different hardware tests...

If there are no hardware problems, I would do a clean reinstall of MacOS... lots of work...

Hope this works for you.
Wimek
Regular

Postby danielhuw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi Wimek. Thanks for replying. That seems like a reasonable plan. I'll give it a try.

Dan
danielhuw
Poster

Postby Scope » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Depending on the age of your mac, you can simply hold "D" on boot for be diagnostic mode
( unibody macs).

It sounds like logicboard / graphics / VRAM issue to me.
I'd expect it to fail a hardware test and need a new board if its displaying weirdness and freezing.

(Sorry !)
Scope
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:38 am

Agree with all above

It could also be the display mulfunctioning this could be tested by connecting to an external display (if you have one available).
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeySpank » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 am

This looks very familiar. I had a 15" of the same vintage and something very similar to this happened.

It turned out to be a known fault with the NVidia graphics chip on the logic board. Apple replaced it for free under warranty even though the machine was 3 years old. That warranty repair programme is now closed but it would be worth taking it to an Apple store for diagnosis.
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby danielhuw » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for all those responses. I took it to a local repair centre for a diagnosis this afternoon. They ran a very quick diagnosis routine to test the graphics system, but it passed them all. I've let them keep it to run some more tests.
Dan
danielhuw
Poster