You are here

iPhone speaker docks

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

iPhone speaker docks

Postby Anonymous » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:12 am

Which ones are the best sounding, for the iPhone 5 mainly? Bose look a bit steep!

Thanks
Anonymous

Re: iPhone speaker docks

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:57 am

I recommend the simple cable leading to your existing monitor speakers. Why would anyone active in music recording want to buy an additional compact system for listening to the results?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby MonkeySpank » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:39 pm

MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby electrotimba » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Bought JBL OnTour few weeks ago. Since it is old stock was only 22 Euros brand new with soft bag, various cables and power supply. Runs long on rechargeable AAs. Had JBL OnStage before but onTour sound as good (for the size), I do not like any of the new JBL models.
onTour
electrotimba
Regular

Postby DGL. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

What about the jarred one then, comes with it's own ladder to reach the dock on top! (you do need it)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Big_al » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:11 am

If you have a decent stereo then don't bother with a dock just Airport it. I have my entire iTunes collection streamed from my Mac and controlled wirelessly on my iPhone through a used Airport that is rigged to my stereo I picked up online for 50 quid!
Big_al
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:02 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:I recommend the simple cable leading to your existing monitor speakers. Why would anyone active in music recording want to buy an additional compact system for listening to the results?

Sometimes you WANT to hear it on a smaller CHEEZY system, in mono or listen to the radio.

I have nice Sony in my studio.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:37 pm

G-Doubleyou wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:I recommend the simple cable leading to your existing monitor speakers. Why would anyone active in music recording want to buy an additional compact system for listening to the results?

Sometimes you WANT to hear it on a smaller CHEEZY system, in mono or listen to the radio.

I have nice Sony in my studio.

Yes that's what I mean. Sometimes I like to just hear talk radio stations too.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:09 pm

We've got a little Yamaha unit which is fab.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

A goal without a plan is just a wish

Postby sc1460 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 am

Music Manic wrote:Which ones are the best sounding, for the iPhone 5 mainly? Bose look a bit steep!

Best sounding? Do you mean just for easy listening?

I've had 3 thus far , all pretty mediocre in comparison to my reference monitors for music production and my hi-fi system for easy listening, but then I'm being anal and the comparison isn't appropriate since the price differential is large.

For iPhone docks my personal opinion is:
At £100 - expect mediocre sound quality but its compact and cheap
At £200 - a little better - I personally wouldnt spend less than this (The Pure units aren't bad)
At £300+ - Ok starting to improve (but I am not a fan of Bose, suggest B&W)

Even my £500 B&W Zeppelin (which sounds good) does not sound AS good as my cheaper priced combination of Pure Audio dock i20, connected to a budget Sony Amp to some budget Wharfdale bookshelf speakers (and my kids can also tell the difference :-)

Simply, IPhone dock manufacturers have put a premium price on those docks and if you want the compactness and all in 1-1 feature than go for it - but you get what you pay for.
sc1460
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 pm

We have:

JBL on tour - sounds great for 25-50ish quid.

Teac iPod dock - sounds better and has DAB and Aux for TV - great for 50-100, a bit Bose-ish

Pure DAB with aux - OK but no coconut -looks flasher than it sounds.

My favourite kitchen audio setup was old tuner into Nad amp into JBL Control 1s - superceded by Pure DAB for political reasons.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.