You are here

Going from Leopard to Mountain Lion

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Going from Leopard to Mountain Lion

Postby Pabs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Ok so I have a 2009 Macbook white running Leopard 10.5.8. I get the impression that in order to get Mountain Lion I need to first get Snowleopard £14 and then upgrade via App Store to Mountain Lion £13.99.

Im not happy about the idea of forking out £28 to go from Leopard to Mountain Lion. Back in the day you could just buy the new operating system on a disc but I think Apple have stopped that as they want to stop people buying operating systems to install on Hackintoshes (thanks a lot nerds!).

Is there any legal way round this? I'm currently unemployed. I can take a £14 hit but £28 is a stretch too far
Pabs
Regular

Re: Going from Leopard to Mountain Lion

Postby Thomas. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:08 pm

The only reason why you would have to do that is because Mountain Lion requires the App Store to download, and Leopard doesn't have it. It is possible to copy the install files to a DVD or USB stick, and the Apple Store might be able to help you if you don't have a friend with a Mac close by.

You then have to edit a .plist file so that ML loads, as detailed here:

http://mac-how-to.wonderhowto.com/how-to/upgrade-mountain-lion-from-leopard-os-x-10-5-10-8-0138304/

However, if you do have a friend with a Mac, he might have a copy of SL he could lend you to install, and then upgrade to ML from that. Since you won't be keeping the SL installation, I don't think you would fall foul of any copyright laws, but I'm not a lawyer ;)
Thomas.
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm

Pabs! wrote:Im not happy about the idea of forking out £28 to go from Leopard to Mountain Lion.

It's clunky but it's not exactly expensive. But these things happen if you don't upgrade along the way, and then need to make a big jump across 8 years worth of upgrades.

Pabs! wrote:Back in the day you could just buy the new operating system on a disc

Yep. And back in that same day, an OS upgrade cost, what £100+ or so..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Pabs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:19 pm

desmond wrote:
Pabs! wrote:Im not happy about the idea of forking out £28 to go from Leopard to Mountain Lion.

It's clunky but it's not exactly expensive. But these things happen if you don't upgrade along the way, and then need to make a big jump across 8 years worth of upgrades.

Well I got my Macbook in 2009 so thats not 8 yrs.. but I take your point
Pabs
Regular

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Pabs! wrote:Well I got my Macbook in 2009 so thats not 8 yrs.. but I take your point

Ok, then 7yrs from Leopard (released in 2006).
It was a generalisation, not a well researched accurate figure.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Tui » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Pabs, are you certain your machine can run Mountain Lion? There's a free app that can check this for you:

http://mactracker.ca/

This page has a version, compatible with 10.5:

http://mactracker.ca/archive.html
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Pabs » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 pm

I have a Macbook 5.2 and know it will run Mountain Lion.

Cheers

Pabs
Pabs
Regular

Postby benniferj » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:30 pm

£28 is dirt cheap for an upgrade to the most recent OS.
benniferj
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

If you have an Apple store / certified repair shop nearby, they will have the ability update your machine.

And you will only have to make one purchase.

8-)
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3