You are here

Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer

Postby IanWood » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm having a conceptual block: I've found the information I need, but but my basic understanding of how to use sends and busses must be flawed, because I can't get the result I want.

First: here's what I've already found and read: and "How do I use an external effects processor with CueMix?" and "Using Digital Performer With External Hardware". (Plus the DP manual.)

I'm using DP 4.61 with a MOTU 828 MKII and two SM81s, recording 12-string acoustic guitar. I have external effects with stereo ins and outs. What I'd like to do is record a dry track and a wet track that I can then mix together.

I've got the 828's analogue out 1 & 2 going to the L/R in of the external effect. I've got the L/R out of the external effect going to the 828's analogue in 3 & 4. In DP, I have a stereo Mic 1/Mic 2 recording track, with a send to analogue out 1 & 2. I have a second stereo track recording analogue in 3 & 4.

I was expecting that setup to record the dry signal on the Mic 1/Mic 2 track, and the wet on the 3 & 4 track. I got wet on both tracks. (They don't sound identical, the 3 & 4 track sounds quieter and not as clear.)

I made an attempt to do something with a bus, but this is where my lack of understanding stopped me...I ended up with weird feedback or a poor-sounding track.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm almost certain that I'm missing some fundamental concept, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Thanks,

IW
IanWood
New here

Re: Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer

Postby Gone To Lunch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Cue Mix includes a reverb that you can route to your ins and outs for use as a comfort reverb for singers when vocal tracking, eg...have you checked to see that you have not accidentally sent this somewhere you don't want it ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster

Re: Knowledge request: external effects & Digital Performer

Postby IanWood » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:12 pm

Huh...guess my reply got eaten when the site went down.

Anyway: nope, the effect on the tracks is the one from my external box. So it's there, it's just not where I want it to be...
IanWood
New here