You are here

Routing Mac audio to recording input

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Routing Mac audio to recording input

Postby H. Tea » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm new to the world of DAW software and have downloaded the trial version of Reaper as suggested in another thread in order to get accustomed to the workflow and see what I may need before buying.

Since I don't have my synths near the computer at the moment I thought I'd simply record the Mac audio into the multiple DAW tracks so as to understand the recording process, but I can't figure out how to get the audio into the DAW. I believe I need to run OSX's "Audio MIDI setup" (in the /Applications/Utility/ folder) and create an aggregate device, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I'm on a Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.8. and the Mac audio output is "Built-in line output". This is what seems correct to me but won't work (I've also tried other settings):
H. Tea
Poster

Re: Routing Mac audio to recording input

Postby chris... » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 am

H. Tea wrote: I believe I need to run OSX's "Audio MIDI setup"

Don't think the built-in stuff can do this.

A great standalone app for recording the Mac's own audio is "Audio Hijack".

However, if you want to record the Mac's own audio [i]into your DAW[/url] you probably need something like "Sound Flower".
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby G-Doubleyou » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Since you don't have an audio interface you have one choice, that is the built-in option.

Also a word of caution, don't hang any heavy adapters on the MP connectors, could damage the motherboard.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:50 pm

In Reaper's audio device preferences, make sure inbuilt audio is selected.

Create an audio track. Choose an input for it - either input 1 or 2 if it's a mono track, or inputs 1-2 if a stereo one. The inputs are your Mac's inbuilt audio inputs.

When you get an audio interface, instead of choosing inbuilt audio as the audio device in Reaper's preferences, you choose your audio interface instead.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby H. Tea » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:13 am

I think some of you misunderstood my intention (I wanted to use the audio on the Mac itself, not from any external input), but I finally worked it out using Soundflower (thanks for that suggestion!).
Here's how:

Soundflower bed (click on the flower icon in the OSX menu bar after starting it from the /Applications/Soundflower/ folder)
- select where the Mac audio should come from ("Built-in line output" in my case)

Audio MIDI setup (/Applications/Utility/)
- Select "Soundflower (2ch)" and right-click on it. Choose to "Use this device for sound output"
- Ensure that the input and output levels on the right hand side are good. The output level is the same as what you set your Mac's listening level to and affect the recording level in the DAW.

Reaper
- Go to the "Reaper" menu, then Preferences-Audio-Device.
- Select "Soundflower (2ch)" as the input device.

That should do it for the audio routing from the Mac's built-in audio. In Reaper I did the following to actually record audio:
- Go to the "Track-Insert new track" menu
- press the track's red "Record arm" button. Now the VU meters will show that the audio is coming in!
H. Tea
Poster