You are here

Easiest way to swap files to new computer

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Easiest way to swap files to new computer

Postby Raystrack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Im about to get a new Mac Mini with SSDs to replace my ageing iMac for composition.

I'd prefer not to have to reinstall everything from original disks and then apply 5 years worth of updates. Can anyone offer advice on the easiest/quickest way to do this? Software concerned as follows ..

Logic Pro X
Kontakt 5
Spectrasonics - Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX
East West - QL Platinum Orchestra, Fab Four, Voices Of Passion, Gypsy
Best Service - Chris Hein Horns 1 & 2, Ethno 4
Spitfire Albion 1 & 2
Raystrack
Poster

Re: Easiest way to swap files to new computer

Postby Kwackman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:09 pm

You might be able to do this with the built in apple migrator- although it means putting a fresh OS install on the new drive and then let do it's thing- but I might be wrong so DYOR on that! It might be only from another Mac that the migration works.

There's always Carbon Copy Cloner which should sort you out if the above trick isn't going to work.

EDIT- After reading your post properly(!)- yes the migration thing will work from your old iMac to the new mac mini. I believe it uses a firewire cable.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby twotoedsloth » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Just be aware that the migration tool is excruciatingly slow. It might be faster to manually type out all the ones and zeroes.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby gazza1967 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 am

I have just changed mac too
I used a programme called super duper to copy the hard drive to an external disk. Then boot the new mac from the external disk to test it works, then copy external disk to new mac (only if the boot etc works of course)

This brings across everything: passwords (which I believe the Migration Assistant no longer does) and everything else that was on the old mac.

It worked first time (took a while though)

You may have to point your "sampler" to its libraries on its initial launch, but that's all

This method worked for me without causing any issues.

Hope this helps
gazza1967
Poster

Postby TBTS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:47 pm

if you've been backing up with time machine, make sure it is up to date and use that to migrate from using the migration assistant (or if you haven't used the mini, it will ask you on startup if you have one).

this way, you aren't tying up both machines at once.
TBTS
Regular
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Postby Raystrack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:45 am

Thanks for all the replies.
Raystrack
Poster

Postby Raystrack » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 am

I forgot to mention that a. I have bought Carbon Copy Cloner and b. I have a 256GB Mac SSD already installed which is blank except for OSX 10.9. This SSD is too small so I'll be able to remove it and use it as an external to boot the new drives if necessary.

I intend to try using CCC to set up a new 500GB SSD in an external drive, then fit it to the Mini as the main drive with an additional new 1TB. I'll then apply Chameleon or similar to enable Trim.

If any of this is likely to cause an issue or fail I'd appreciate feedback before I start (500GB SSD still in the post).
Raystrack
Poster