You are here

rip wavs instead of aiff ???

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

rip wavs instead of aiff ???

Postby paul tha other » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:30 pm

is there a way to change the mac ripping to aiff ..most of the time i use wav and everyone wants wav's..so i dont need aiff..can i change this???
paul tha other
Regular

Re: rip wavs instead of aiff ???

Postby BJG145 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:46 pm

BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:58 pm

i never use itunes for this job..i just double click the cd icon when it appears and drag the files into a folder on my desktop..i should rephrase my question ..can you get the mac os to rip wavs instead of aiff??
paul tha other
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm not a mac user, and so what follows could be complete bollarks... but my understanding is that AIFF is the native sound file format on the mac platform, and so any generic drag and drop actions will always result in the creation of an AIFF file. I don't think that can be changed or reconfigured because its a built-in function of the operating system.

If you want anything else you will need either to use an AIFF to WAV conversion program of some sort after ripping, or use a different ripper to generate WAVs directly (such as iTunes).

WAV and AIFF have the same origins, but AIFF was developed by Apple specifically to be different from the IBM/Microsoft WAV format in the usual Apple way...

The original AIFF format was 'big-endian' to work easily with their preferred Motorola processors, but when they changed to intel hardware and OSX, AIFF had to be re-engineered to be little-endian... like WAV.

Consequently, OSX AIFF files are now encased in an AIFF-C format wrapper, but instead of using data reduction, it employs the uncompressed 'sowt' format. The core data is now virtually identical to the genuine industry-standard WAV format, but it's still just different enough to remain a bespoke Apple format.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby paul tha other » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 pm

thats what i figured...damn macs....its just this month i have been asked about 20 times to convert a cd to wav files and i find the process of pricking about with logic or itunes for something so trivial, a pain in the ass...

thanks for yor replies
paul
paul tha other
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

paul tha other wrote:i find the process of pricking about with logic or itunes for something so trivial, a pain in the ass...

iTunes is easy enough. Load disc, set rip format, and let it get on with it. Job done!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

As an audio guy, you should have a batch conversion utility that make format conversions basically trivial.

If you don't have one, get one.

Yes, in an ideal world, everything should automatically do exactly what you want, all the time, without effort.

However, currently we don't live in that world, so we use tools to help us easily and quickly do the necessary tasks.

AIFF to WAV conversions are trivial, especially when you are sticking to the same sample rates/bit depths etc.

ITunes will work, but it's more hassle and less quick than a decent batch convertor...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Aug 86
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby paul tha other » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:08 pm

desmond...you are correct..i should stop moaning and get a batch convertor...maybe im a little tripped out..been mixing hawkwind covers all day...sorry for the rant

paul
paul tha other
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Take a good look at the software installed, there may be an audio app that can do the job.

kvraudio.com has links to free Mac batch converters.

There are also free one in the App store.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm

paul tha other wrote:maybe im a little tripped out..been mixing hawkwind covers all day...

Hehe... When do the Ozric Tentacles covers sessions start..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Reaper will convert anything to anything.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Mats G » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I recommend XLD (X Lossless Decoder). It is free, converts between a multitude of lossless and compressed audio formats, and it is an excellent CD ripper - way superior to iTunes in my experience: where iTunes sometimes fails certain records or returns glitched track-rips, XLD almost never fails. It's my go-to ripper/audio format converter.
Mats G
Poster

Mats G

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
paul tha other wrote:i find the process of pricking about with logic or itunes for something so trivial, a pain in the ass...

iTunes is easy enough. Load disc, set rip format, and let it get on with it. Job done!

H

^^^ This. Set the format once and then anything CD or CD track you add to your library will be imported as WAV. It's easier than pratting around with any DAW - just drag and drop.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Mats G wrote:I recommend XLD (X Lossless Decoder). It is free, converts between a multitude of lossless and compressed audio formats, and it is an excellent CD ripper - way superior to iTunes in my experience: where iTunes sometimes fails certain records or returns glitched track-rips, XLD almost never fails. It's my go-to ripper/audio format converter.
Yep.

Note that those iTunes comments also apply to ripping by dragging in the Finder, as the OP has been doing.

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby psybersonic » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 pm

You can convert most audio files using afconvert from the OSX command prompt. (Terminal utility.)
psybersonic
New here

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Mixedup wrote:^^^ This. Set the format once and then anything CD or CD track you add to your library will be imported as WAV. It's easier than pratting around with any DAW - just drag and drop.

Ugh... Yes, it rips into your library. Then you have to dig through your library to reveal where the files have been put by iTunes.
Then copy/move them to where you actually want them. Then find them again in iTunes and remember to delete the library references... this is all tedious, and I don't use iTunes for these tasks for this reason.

I don't *want* to rip them to my iTunes library, I just want to rip them as files to a folder somewhere - the iTunes stuff is just more stuff to do and remember - it works, and is fine if you do it very infrequently (I guess) but a decent batch tool and avoiding iTunes for these things is a much better/faster and more eficient way imo...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 am

Well... it's all I really use iTunes for and it's not that inconvenient! One drag and drop to convert. Another click to open folder. A click and drag to put it on Client's pen drive or into Dropbox. Job done. And it keeps a nice, handy index of all such files for you too.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:44 pm

desmond wrote:
paul tha other wrote:maybe im a little tripped out..been mixing hawkwind covers all day...

Hehe... When do the Ozric Tentacles covers sessions start..?

not soon i hope....i have had enough of tape delay for 1 day
paul tha other
Regular