You are here

Logic X Issue

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic X Issue

Postby sos4andy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:11 am

Hi all

Is anyone finding Logic X issues on larger projects whereby recent saved changes are not taking effect on the first playback?

To elaborate, I have a large-ish project, 80 something tracks 75% of which are midi instruments with heavy effects chains and multiple automation per track, maybe 10 sends etc... at the end of the last few sessions I have saved all changes to automation etc. then, when I reopen the project at the start of the next session, I play back the project and several changes are not present. However, if I stop the transport, and play from the beginning again, it seems the project 'remembers' the previous changes...
sos4andy
Regular

Re: Logic X Issue

Postby sos4andy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 am

And now there is no audio on this project...

I revert to the previous saved version and all is fine but the most recent version has null sound. Could this be a sign of my CPU hitting the limit?

sos4andy
Regular

Postby desmond » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 am

No, it's I think more likely some combination of LPX bugs, project corruption, or individual plugin compatibility...
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Jan 84
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby sos4andy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:46 am

I opened the project up again last night, and turned off all the master plugins and it works fine again.

Looking back, when it was experiencing the no audio issue, the CPU was peaking, especially on the 8th core (which on my projects usually means the master bus is too busy), but also it wasn't plugged in to the mains and the battery was low. Could it have been a combination of bugs, compatibility, power saving etc...

Anyway, I'm still loving Logic X inspite of these little inconsistencies...
sos4andy
Regular

Postby DAGGILARR » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

I have had some CPU spike issues recently, on a project using several incidences of Kontakt, Turning of the multi core support in the Kontakt options seems to have helped, but early days yet.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby sos4andy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:30 am

Turning off multicore? That seems counter-intuitive, but if it works!

I have a feeling my issue with no sound was probably linked to an energy saving thing somewhere...

I'm starting to think though that I want to upgrade my i7 2.0ghz 8GB RAM MBP to something a little more capable...
sos4andy
Regular

Postby DAGGILARR » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:19 am

Just to be clear I have Multi core enabled in Logic, 8 cores selected, but have disabled it in Kontakt. I was chiming in in case you had multiple Konakt tracks.

CPU spikes in Logic seem to happen quite a lot, it would seem that Kontakts multi core option confuses Logic, though if using Kontakt as a stand-alone it would be a good idea to enable it.

Or so it would seem.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby sos4andy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Still working on the track (2 boys in nappies and a full time job means slow progress sometimes) and now I'm basically freezing everything unless I'm tweeking it and the project is flying.

Just being lazy now (asking instead of researching), anyone know if there is a way to bounce out the output of several track stacks in one pass? I'd like to mix using the stems of the submixes...
sos4andy
Regular

Postby DAGGILARR » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:56 pm

I think the only way is to export tracks as audio/midi.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby sos4andy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:41 pm

DAGGILARR wrote:I think the only way is to export tracks as audio/midi.

Need to explore this more... I had great fun with a track a while ago, bouncing out different sub mixes and treating them separately then mixing them back together...
sos4andy
Regular