You are here

Soundflower AU Lab and Sonarwarks. How to do?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Soundflower AU Lab and Sonarwarks. How to do?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 am

Installed the excellent Sonarworks app to try but want to run iTunes through it as per Sam Inglis's review in SOS. Done a search but need some clear directions on what I need to do. So far have just downloaded Soundflower. Cheers.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" – Bertrand Russell

Re: Soundflower AU Lab and Sonarwarks. How to do?

Postby Richie Royale » Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 pm

I've used Soundflower before (I stopped because it wasn't stable on Snow Leopard); you set up the audio in system preferences to Soundflower and then Soundflower to your audio interface. I don't know about running the app with it though.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed May 13, 2015 1:19 pm

Right... I've only done this with my Mac's built-in audio, so it might be different with an external interface.

First of all, you need to install both Soundflower and the freeware AU Lab utility which is part of the OSX developer tools. I think I downloaded AU Lab from here.

Once you've installed Soundflower you should be able to select 'Soundflower 2-in/2-out' as the audio output in Audio MIDI Setup. You might need to run the SoundflowerBed utility first, though I don't recall this being necessary on my machine.

Then you need to open AU Lab and create a new Stereo Out or Stereo In/Out document. Set its Audio Output Device to 'Soundflower (2ch)'. You should see a mixer window containing two stereo channels labelled Audio 1 and Output 1. You can insert the Sonarworks plug-in (or any other plug-in) on the Audio 1 channel.

As far as I can remember that's all you need to do, though if you often power down your Mac it might be worth setting Soundflower and AU Lab to launch on startup.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed May 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks very much Sam, much appreciated. You can use Audio HIjack for this too but it's not free. A lot simpler than the process you describe, though! I've got the demo and it just does exactly what it says on the tin.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" – Bertrand Russell

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu May 14, 2015 11:32 am

Did you get it working then? Once it's up and running it seems fairly problem-free, at least on my machine.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu May 14, 2015 4:42 pm

Haven't had a chance to try yet. I'm wondering whether to just keep Sonarworks as Logic only option as I mostly listen to iTunes on speakers anyway. But funnily enough, I did exactly what you warned against in your article. I bounced a track down, played it back over the monitors and thought, ang about, this sounds odd. And sure enough, I'd bounced with Sonarworks still engaged! DOH!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster

Postby Uplift123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:07 pm

I would be so grateful if someone sees this and can help me out! I'm completely baffled - as are Apogee and Apple support!

I'm trying to do exactly this (with IK Multimedia ARC atm - although I'm considering getting the Sonarworks after seeing reviews - but this is irrelevant)

It works perfectly with my mac's built-in output. However it stops working as soon as I assign my output in AU Lab to Ensemble (Apogee Ensemble Firewire).

Playing music from iTunes. I assign my System Pref Sound output device as Soundflower 2ch - in AU Lab I assign input as Soundflower 2ch and output as Ensemble. No sound. However if I assign output in AU Lab to Built-in Output - it works fine.

Incidentally - if System Pref Sound output device is left as Ensemble; then AU Lab receives audio from a microphone plugged into Ensemble and outputs to Ensemble...

Your help would be SO appreciated!!! :)

Kind regards,

Alex
Uplift123

Postby porthoss78 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 am

Hi,

This has just been announced for the Mac, pretty much the same sort of thing as Audio Hijack:

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b ... KbArRBYZNI

Thanks
J
porthoss78
Regular

Postby Uplift123 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 pm

porthoss78 wrote:Hi,

This has just been announced for the Mac, pretty much the same sort of thing as Audio Hijack:

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-b ... KbArRBYZNI

Thanks
J

Ah thanks for posting that, mate! Looks really good!

Alex
Uplift123