You are here

What was the last Mac with AppleTalk style serial connector?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

What was the last Mac with AppleTalk style serial connector?

Postby jellyjim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Hello

What was the last Mac (or model that followed not much later where conversion is trivial) that had an AppleTalk style serial connector?

I picked up cheap a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV interface which is proving very useful as a standalone digital MIDI patchbay but it does have some nice features that can be selected when standalone but only CREATED with an editor. It doesn't have USB.

I looked at an ancient iBook in a Cash Convertors but even that didn't have one!

As far as I can tell there's no easy way to convert this port to USB either, I think it needs to be smarter than just an adaptor.

From the back of the MOTU I gather the port is essentially an RS242 port

Thanks
Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: What was the last Mac with AppleTalk style serial connector?

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 pm

The first Macs to use USB were the original iMacs, that would be late 90s (98 or thereabouts).

Appletalk would be before those, so you are certainly trying to track down mid 90s PPC machines. But seriously, for the time and effort in tracking one down, buying and maintaining, you might as well just spend that money to get a more modern MIDI patchbay - emagic AMT8s are cheap, solid, and still have driver support on current machines...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby jellyjim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:43 am

Thanks, yeah for sure but seems a shame as I have this MOTU now. I have just realised it's PC too. Probably much easier to find an old Windows laptop with the correct port!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby FrankRaz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:00 am

There were two versions of MTP II. The PC one came with an ISA card that the MTP connected to. You would have to find that card. I've also just read that the last Windows that supported ISA slots was 98.
You're better off getting an MTP AV and networking the two. Mind you the parallel port version of the AV only works with XP. I've never managed to get mine working with 7.
As Desmond says, you're better off with an AMT 8, Unitor 8 or MT4.
FrankRaz
Poster

Postby jellyjim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks, it is the AV I have, MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV, just not the slightly later USB version.

I'm just trying to "recycle" really. If I bought another box then the MTP would be surplus! As I say, it's still very useful to me in standalone mode it's just a shame there isn't an easy way to plug it into a computer and get a bit more out of it. I'd only need to do it once in a blue moon. My studio is a fairly static entity.

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby BigRedX » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:38 pm

The original G3 models in the beige cases were the last Macs to have the serial connector.
BigRedX
Regular
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby fatbenelton » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 am

I bought such a beige G3 on ebay a few years back for 99p! Shipping was £30 mind....I 'needed' it to run Vision and a similarly ancient Opcode midi interface. I have to say the novelty of running a legacy set up quickly wore off....

One on ebay..£15 at the moment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-Pow ... Sw2gxYo4vh
fatbenelton
Regular
Jonny

Postby BigRedX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:03 pm

You should end up getting a fair bit more for it.

I sold a PM9500/150 and a PM9600/350 for a couple of hundred pounds each on eBay last year. However both were in their original packaging with system CDs, keyboard, mouse etc.
BigRedX
Regular
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 pm

fatbenelton wrote:I 'needed' it to run Vision and a similarly ancient Opcode midi interface. I have to say the novelty of running a legacy set up quickly wore off....
Not helpful to OP, but Sheepshaver lets you run OS9 in a shell on your OSX Mac. I use it occasionally to convert old sequencer files and some other cool stuff.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby Jadoube » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:11 pm

I just had a blinding white flash pass through my vision leaving an after image of my trusty old Quadra 840AV. I did a lot of great work on that machine! We had many apple talk bits.... :-)
Jadoube
Regular
David