You are here

How do I create a stereo aux from Kontakt in Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

How do I create a stereo aux from Kontakt in Logic Pro X

Postby I'd Rather Play » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Firstly, I've been doing this in ver. 9 for years and the aux i create was always stereo but now in Ver X, it comes out mono.

I create an multi output instrument plugin track (Kontakt 16 ch stereo) . Load a multiple output Kontakt instance. Load my parts onto each midi channel.

Then I hit the "+" icon on the mixer to create the Aux channels for the Kontakt (stereo) outputs.....

But these Aux channels are mono, so the Kontakt instrument outputs on two of them as left and right.

In the inspector the input selector (from the inst in menu) only allows me to select one contact output channel at a time not a stereo pair.

(So I'm assuming it's got to be something to do with Logic not seeing the Kontakt outputs as stereo pairs)

So how do I make this aux stereo ?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Re: How do I create a stereo aux from Kontakt in Logic Pro X

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 pm

If you find out please let me know. The outputs in Kontakt do my head in.

I also use Halion 5, and have also used many other multi-output VSTs, and it is dead easy assigning output.

1 Open the VST, at that point select the number of outputs - say 8

2 Start the VST, load for example 8 instruments/patches

3 Select whatever channel's output drop down, and choose from 1-8

4 You can then see those choices reflected in the mixer.

But in Kontakt, steps 1 & 2 are easy enough, but when you get to step 3 - channel options don't appear, or even if they do appear they are not replicated. Sometimes I just give up and go back to Halion, or stumble along using a single stereo output

I have been using Kontakt since version 2, and am now on version 5 yet the software is still lumbered with those archane output options.

I did manage to drop on a acceptable setup, more by luck than judgment and saved it as a .dll and everythign was tickety boo, until I chose to do a Kontakt update, and all my settings were gone. Worse still, when I tried to open some projects that had used Kontakt Multi-Outputs, say 8 mono outputs, it (the project - I use Cubase) refused to load as it got stuck at the point where it tried to load Kontakt
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm

How Kontakt maps it's instruments to it's outputs (and therefore, to which DAW channel strips each output ends up in) is defined in Kontakt's Outputs mapping tab, so check there first that you aren't routed Kontakt's outputs as mono to the DAW.

I just tried this, and get stereo auxes created by default as expected.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby I'd Rather Play » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Ahh, OK. So it looks like the issue is my Kontakt routing. I shall check.

Thank you.
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby mashedmitten » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:58 pm

I read that in some versions of Kontakt, even when you chose multi-stereo outs, they defaulted to mono but could be changed/corrected after the fact.
mashedmitten
Frequent Poster
Nate

My sole goal in life is to make people projectile spew their beverages, from mouth and nostrils, all over their screens, keyboards, themselves and others, over my incessant bollox.

Postby I'd Rather Play » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 pm

Desmond, I checked the Kontakt channel output mapping tab and all channels are stereo.

Strangely enough when i do exactly the same thing, but with the Kontakt instance on another machine, communicating with the Logic machine via VEPro5, everything works fine; i.e. Logic creates stereo aux tracks (when I use "+" tab) to receive the Kontakt channels from the other machine. But not with Kontakt instance on the host machine. Any suggestions?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby I'd Rather Play » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Issue Solved . . . But Why?

If I create a new software instrument track via...Track > New Software Instrument Track . . all works well. i.e the created Aux tracks are stereo

If I create a new software instrument track via..... Track > New Tracks > Then select ..An Instrument Plug-in ....I get the mono Aux issue.
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I just tried and neither shows different behaviour for me, I get stereo auxes in Logic regardless of the route to get there.

What Logic, Kontakt and OSX version are you running?
desmond
Jedi Poster
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby I'd Rather Play » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm running;

OS X - 10.10.4
Logic Pro X - 10.2.0
Kontakt - 5.5.1.451
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:14 pm

I'd Rather Play wrote:Logic Pro X - 10.2.0

Have you tried on an up-to-date version?

I think I have 10.2.4 installed, I'll check the behaviour on that - in the meantime, you might just want to check a more recent version to see if the behaviour is the same or fixed. Keep your 10.2.0 app in case you want to stick with that for now, but at least try... oh, you're still on Yosemite...

I'll check and report back...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby I'd Rather Play » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks Desmond, but while your around . . . . . . .

I know the maximum number of midi/software instrument tracks possible is 255 and the maximum number of auxs is also 255.

Does this mean it's impossible to have more than 510 unique software instruments in a Logic template?

I know 510 is a lot but putting together an orchestral template with all the articulations from multiple libraries on different tracks and having everything available from the arrange page, just by selecting the track, then 510 really isn't enough!

Any suggestions?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I think people doing super-heavy footprint stuff probably end up hosting a lot of the orchestral stuff in something like Vienna Ensemble...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby I'd Rather Play » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Yes i'm doing that. I have all my orchestral instruments on three slave machines communicating with Logic via VEPro on the main machine.

But the dream is to have every instance of most articulations available at the click of a track on the arrange page, hence the need for more (and more) tracks.

How about creating External midi tracks (and therefore not using the 255 software instrument/Auxs) but not routing the midi to a USB port but somehow (via the Environment?) routing the midi internally back to a software instrument instance?

Possible?
I'd Rather Play
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm

But if the problem is that you don't have enough software instrument channel strips, it doesn't help you.

If you mean using *one* software instrument to provide multiple articulations, then of course you can set up one instrument with multiple MIDI tracks feeding it, and aux separate outputs if needed, but again, it depends on the quantities needed.
desmond
Jedi Poster