You are here

Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system

Postby Craig Eastwood » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:33 pm

I'm about to start a project with a friend where we collect large amounts of video footage together and then edit it all down before creating the soundtracks. The problem we have is that there will be a mixture of Windows XP and Mac OSX machines used for this, hopefully with a firewire HD used to transfer video files between machines.

Does anybody know what kind of access I can gain to an NTFS formatted drive from OSX? I'm hoping that I can read and write video files in excess of 4GB in size so that this same drive can then be used to transport the raw footage to and from a Windows XP machine. If anybody can shed any light on this situation (or point me to the necessary information) I'd be grateful, as the Apple web site simply says the latest OS version gives "improved support" for NTFS volumes.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I hope the new forum turns out to be worth the changes!
Craig Eastwood
New here

Re: Mac OSX.3.5 and NTFS file system

Postby PaulD » Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:42 pm

Hi
As I understand it OSX has up to now been able to read NTFS drives, but writing to such drives hasn't been made possible because all the invisible system files that Mac OS writes to a drive aren't understood by Windows, and result in Win XP trashing data on the drive after its been mounted on a Mac.
This is a fundamental problem/incompatibility, and I haven't heard that 10.3.5 has changed things.

It has been safer to use MacDrive or Mac Opener 2000 to allow a Windows PC to read/write-to a Mac formatted drive.
PaulD
Regular

Postby inocybe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:25 pm

last time I checked, reading and mounting the drive worked, but writing didn't. It's a bit of a shame they didn't get it to work properly yet, but there is still lots of change in the mac/pc compatebillity with every update released. I hope, after some time, they'd finally get it to work (probably by the time longhorm gets released, which will probably have a new file system .. so we can start over again..).. But if you really need to do so, use a FAT32 disk (but I think they can't handle files bigger then 2Gb, no?) or check out some 3th party software on the mac or PC side.. (maybe there is some good pc app that lets you open HFS+ disks?)
inocybe
Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:34 pm

The safe and easy answer is to use Ms-Dos Formatted external Hard drives.

They work absolutely fine under both systems.

As proof of the pudding, Jack had to transfer 18Gb of audio for pro-tools when I reclaimed my G5 from him last week. this was achieved using a Bog std, off the shelf Iomega pocket HDD USB2.0 External Dive, Pre-formatted in Ms-Dos.

His PC is Xp pro, My G5 is 10.3.5.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

No Longer the slightest bit interested in your audio problems .   

Postby Craig Eastwood » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I thought about using MS-DOS format drives but thought there was a maximum single file size of 2GB on these. If I'm wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised and the problems all disappear. If this is the case, we'll just have to collect all the footage on the Windows machine first with the drive formatted in NTFS then transfer it all into my machine before reformatting the drive to collect the footage on the Mac machine for editing. Either that or I'll just buy the software to let both machines see the Mac formatted disc.

Anyway, thanks again.
Craig Eastwood
New here

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 pm

Ahhhh FILE.... I was thinking Folders. (I'm an Audio geezer, not a Video Chap)

Not sure..... I haven't got a 2GB+ file to hand... But to test ti,, see if you can copy a DVD disc image to any Std External usb or Fw drive

That is, one that was not reformatted or otherwise molested... but came ready to go... as they are all MS-DOS

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster

No Longer the slightest bit interested in your audio problems .   

Postby FrankRaz » Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm

You could try Paragon's snappily titled NTFS For Mac.
Allows you to read and write to NTFS drives from a Mac would you believe.

NTFS For Mac
FrankRaz
Poster

Postby Bossman » Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Frank, this thread is 9 years old.. :headbang: I would hope the OP has found a solution by now
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby FrankRaz » Sat May 18, 2013 7:35 am

Whoops I didn't even look to see when it started.

This is highly embarrasing, looks like I need to go to Specsavers.
FrankRaz
Poster

Postby xFasterMikeyH » Sat May 18, 2013 10:03 am

FrankRaz wrote:Whoops I didn't even look to see when it started.

This is highly embarrasing, looks like I need to go to Specsavers.
Don't worry, there's a bug with the forum software - on occasion it displays threads in ascending chronological order (or at least shows very old threads at the top of the list). Cue much confusion and occasional amusement.

FMH.
xFasterMikeyH
Regular