You are here

Help! Cubase 5 Win7 64 bit & Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 issues ;)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Help! Cubase 5 Win7 64 bit & Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 issues ;)

Postby dboy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey all, I'm hoping someone here can help a newbie to laptop recording with the BSOD.

I'm running Cubase 5.1.1 on a (brand new) Win7 64 bit Acer laptop and 'trying' to use a Scarlett 8i6. I finally moved across from a lifetime of hardware setups around 10 days ago and am almost regretting it

In a nutshell, every time I plug the Scarlett into the laptop I either get an immediate BSOD or am able to open C5, start using it and then get the BSOD 10 minutes later. This results in all the 'repair startup' stuff which has even removed some newly installed Addictive Drums because of the last restore point. It's a nightmare.

I've carried out the Microsoft recommended Win7 diagnostics (error & memory checks) on the laptop and it's coming up clear. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the latest drivers for the Scarlett from Focusrite and can't for the life of me figure out 'logically' why this should be happening.....with the caveat that as I'm new to laptop recording I'm aware I could be missing something obvious.

On that basis, can anyone think of what fundamental issue I've forgot to address as a newbie?

Serious thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help.

dboy
dboy

Re: Help! Cubase 5 Win7 64 bit & Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 issues ;)

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:34 am

That's an old version of Cubase to be trying to run under Win 7. Have you considered updating to 5.5 at least?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby dboy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah I have. At the moment I'm just trying to identify whether there's an actual issue with the Scarlett.

A tech-minded friend with a similar setup has been trying to help me today. He's got an old Lexicon Alpha interface which we were able to use effortlessly without crashing the laptop. Got to admit, this surprised me and had us both eyeing the Scarlett suspiciously

We've got the bare minimum running on my laptop but put the Scarlett in the USB port and it crashes. BSoD hell. We've uninstalled, reinstalled and checked everything we can think of but no dice. This is regardless of whether Cubase is even open btw.

Utterly perplexed. Something does not like the Scarlett but it's supposedly compatible and I don't see anyone else on the net having a problem with it.

I'm aware that there are so many possible variables and am just trying to eliminate the obvious.

Any further thoughts? Many thanks in advance if so.

dboy
dboy

Postby The Elf » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 am

Can't say I'm an expert, but it sounds pretty damning for the audio interface's drivers.

Just one thought before (hopefully!) more knowledgeable advice arrives... Have you made sure there's no on-board audio still active that might be fighting with the Scarlett?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby dboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

Yeah, we did the onboard audio check. Disabled or enabled the laptop did NOT crash using the Lexicon Alpha interface. This is a non-midi device from 8 years ago or something! We installed new drivers for it and it worked without complaint. Unexpected to say the least.

The Scarlett has the latest drivers from the Focusrite site too but with internal audio enabled or disabled, it crashed. 'Logically' it makes no sense.....which is probably where we're going wrong

I'm awaiting a response from Focusrite support but am contemplating a return. The laptop itself works perfectly as long as I'm not trying to do what I actually bought it for.

This is not exactly the warm welcome to laptop recording that I was hoping for. My friend, running C5 on XP with an 8 year old interface has allowed himself at least one laugh at my (literal) expense!

Thanks for your input regardless, it's much appreciated.

dboy
dboy

Postby Sam Holloway » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:34 am

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Scarlett 8i6 and have huge problems and am also considering a return

First is the BSOD issue :

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1158

(the workaround of booting with midi unplugged works, but if iforget it's 2x BSOD's before a successful boot)

Second is latency. I'm using Reaper on a brand new i5 / 8gb / win7 system. I am down to 2ms in the settings and reaper is still showing 7-10ms in the arrange window. Why? I can feel a little lag (keys player am i) and cant find the rate settings either.

Documentation and internet resource is still infantile (it will get better...wont it?)

I have sent a support request to Focusrite but no reply as yet.

My 2 cents anyways...let you know how i go.

Sam.
Sam Holloway

Postby mick.n » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:43 am

Sam Holloway wrote:
Second is latency. I'm using Reaper on a brand new i5 / 8gb / win7 system. I am down to 2ms in the settings and reaper is still showing 7-10ms in the arrange window. Why? I can feel a little lag (keys player am i) and cant find the rate settings either.

Sam.

Could the 7-10 ms latency in the arrange window be the "round trip" latency reading?

Not sure about reaper but thats how it works in cubase.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby TAFKAT » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:07 pm

mick.n wrote: Could the 7-10 ms latency in the arrange window be the "round trip" latency reading?

Not sure about reaper but thats how it works in cubase.

That is not correct re Cubase.

Both Cubase and Reaper report exactly the same thing from the ASIO Driver, which is respective In and Out latency values , you need to add them to calculate the Round Trip Latency.

If the Focusrite setting of 2MS is resulting in reported latencies of 7/10MS , that is due to excessively large safety buffers.

V.
TAFKAT
Regular

AAVIM Technology

DAWbench.com

Postby Sir George Martian » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:51 pm

I'm wondering if this problem was resolved, and if the Scarlett ended up with mud on its drivers.
Sir George Martian

Postby Free-K » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm

hallo i just read ur post and i wanted to know if u found a solution to ur problems with scarlett as i have exactly the same troubles as u had. except i have a 32bit windows7 ultimate as system. else it's exactly the same. i used a alpha lexicon usb b4, like ur friend and it worked very well, no crashes at all and no vst-performance overload like now with the same project running! unlike now as i get the bluescreen blues!
I would be glad if u could help me with this !
Thanx and a good weekend

LG
Rico
Free-K

Postby twotoedsloth » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 pm

For what it's worth, I have the Scarlett 2i2 and it runs flawlessly in Win 7-64 and Cubase 6.

I'm using a Lenovo notebook with a Core i5 and 8 gigs of ram.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 am

If OP wishes to rule in/out his Cubase 5 then a quick install of reaper should help. The has been noteable issues with certain configurations and the Scarletts through, so I suspect it's worth submitting a report with Focusrite and then making a decision on what to do with it when they can update you.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Neil - FocusriteNovation » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Rico,

The latest version of Scarlett MixControl offers improved performance and stability along with a fix for the blue-screen issue. You can find it here (for 8i6 & 18i6):

http://www.focusrite.com/downloads/scarlett_8i6/

If you are a Scarlett 2i2 user, the driver including the sames performance improvements and fixes can be found here:

http://www.focusrite.com/downloads/scarlett_2i2/

If you upgrade and still find yourself experiencing problems, why not give us a shout via the Focusrite contact form. We would be happy to assist in working through any issues with you:

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Best regards,

Neil Marron
Focusrite Technical Support
Neil - FocusriteNovation
Poster