You are here

Laptop Audio out processors?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Laptop Audio out processors?

Postby Jonesy512 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:06 am

Hi there

I'm after, if such a thing exists, a program I can use to control EQ and other things on my laptop audio out. sort of like a mixing desk.
I have one called AC3 Filter but it doesn't do anything to the overall sound.

Is there such a program?

cheers
Jonesy
Jonesy512
Poster

Re: Laptop Audio out processors?

Postby tim_obrien » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 am

Have you looked into your Sound control panel to see if that is there already?

The big limitation is the 40-cent soundcard built into all computers.
You've really got to replace it with something better if you want to mess with music...
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby Jonesy512 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:21 am

I have a laptop =S so upgrades are very few =S
Ive been looking at external sound cards though
Jonesy512
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 am

Hi Jonesy,
Any DAW software you get will have some form of EQ and other effects such as reverb in it. Reaper is excellent but have a shufty at the free Samplitude Silver and even WMP has a graphic EQ (of sorts!) in it.
But as Tim said, you will be very limited by the internal soundcard (actually playback might not be that bad but for recording, forget it!)so you need an external Audio Interface. If cash is very tight even the Behringer UCA202 is much better than the internal card, approaches CD dynamic range and has at least 1/2 decent, RCA connectors. But you can do much better, especially if you want to record mic or guitar. Beware of older, second hand AI's, some are not so clever on Windows 7. For instance the Em-u 0404usb 2.0 held sway as the top sub £200 AI for some years in XP but I understand there are some issues with W7? look at AIs from Focursrite and Presonus and stay with usb.
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Jonesy512 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:51 am

Cheers mate i have a Presonus USB box it works a charm and i also use reaper for recording and editing i just thought they may have been a better program similar to AC3 encoder or Realtek HD drivers i could use
Jonesy512
Poster

Postby humandrums » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:31 am

if its just for mp3 theres a winamp plugin by izotope that does eq etc, and heaps of other free plugins for it, if your serious about it then yeh as the other guys have said get an external interface and pick what flavour of DAW you want to use, Reaper is good not only because its free but because its a really well thought out and executed bit of software
humandrums
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:39 am

humandrums wrote:if its just for mp3 theres a winamp plugin by izotope that does eq etc, and heaps of other free plugins for it, if your serious about it then yeh as the other guys have said get an external interface and pick what flavour of DAW you want to use, Reaper is good not only because its free but because its a really well thought out and executed bit of software

Used be a big fan of Winamp but last time I downloaded it it had got fat, lazy and very pretentious!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#