You are here

Sound Cards openin in wrong order

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Sound Cards openin in wrong order

Postby Russell B » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:56 am

Hi everyone, I have recently upgraded my computer and cubase and it was mostly a painless venture with very few problems and the system is generally running very good giving me 32 in 32 out platform for live recording which is the mainstay of my studio. But every now and then the sound cards are recognized in the wrong order making it a nightmare to sort out assignments especially when the band arrives late and the live sound check has to be done first ( I do both live and studio)and then I discover my assignments are all wrong, channel 1 comes up as 9 and 17 -24 just don't exist or are now 25-32. it is a very annoying thing . I'm running 2 Motu 828's with an 8 channel converter attached to each and with Windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I have been told that windows 7 has some problems with external hardware but I don't believe that today this should be an issue with any operating system.
Has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it or better still a way to eliminate it all together.

Thanks in advance guys (& girls)
Russell B
Regular

Re: Sound Cards openin in wrong order

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Russell!

Tricky one, since USB/Firewire interfaces can as you’ve found sometimes be detected in a different order. The important thing is to leave them plugged in (to avoid hot swapping damage), but I suspect if you then switch them on individually via their front panels in ‘1-7' and ‘8-15' order (with a gap of a few seconds in between) they should always appear in the same order.

Alternatively, have a look in the Motu 828 Control Panel to see if there’s some arcane parameter that lets you uniquely identify each interface on a more permanent basis, since I can’t see that Motu won’t have thought of this problem at the design/development stage.

Good luck!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Russell B » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Martin I have already tried both options you have suggested. First the Motu control panel adjusts to how the soundcards open so that is no real help. The second option does not help as the computer will then only recognize the first card turned on and ignores the other in fact it will not even be recognized by the Motu Console.
Sometimes by turning the soundcard rack off and then on again fixes the problem other times it can mean a restart of the computer.
Also it is critical when I turn the soundcards on, the computer must be doing absolutely nothing or I get a blue screen. I've learnt to deal with this by giving the computer 5mins to settle down before turning them on.
I'm trying to find a way that works so I don't have that extra worry in rush situations. In December I have to Record 2 days of live Rock-a-billy Music (as well as the live sound) 4 bands each day from all over the world (including Jerry Lee Lewis's sister) and I really don't need these little problems cropping up.
Russell B
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 pm

In that case I'd personally contact Motu's local distributors (in the UK that’s Musictrack on 01767 313447) and discuss the issue with them.

A project like this is too important to rely on forum suggestions when the manufacturers themselves could be consulted, especially when this issue MUST have happened to other professionals by now.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Russell B » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks Martin I will try to contact them but as I live in Germany and my German is not so good it can be a bit difficult or expensive if I have to call the UK.
If I get the computer running and the soundcards running in the right order it seems to stay stable till I restart the computer so it is only at the beginning of a session that this problem is there (so far) but the possibility of it happening in the middle of that particular weekend is a bit frighting there is also a 9 camera video crew there recording everything for a DVD it is quite a big weekend.
Russell B
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm

You may not want to hear this - but I think you are going to have to hire in something more reliable for a valuable gig like that and maybe use your setup as a backup. The JoeCo Black Box Recorder is gaining a good reputation for live recording but there are all sorts of other alternatives.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Russell B » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi James
The system works once it is running and hasn't let me down in the last 3 months except for this problem and if it means I need to be active in the studio earlier then that's how it is. The sound checks are done early enough on this weekend using the the same backline for all bands. Also the budget does not allow for the hiring of extra equipment. I have recorded this gig for the last 5 years on less stable equipment and had no real problems (except a bit of stress).
I am investing in a new soundcard next year I had hoped to upgrade it with the new computer but funds were just a bit tight I'm looking to buy 2 Motu 24 I/O's as it covers all possibilities including orchestra.

Russell
Russell B
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Russell B wrote:Thanks Martin I will try to contact them but as I live in Germany and my German is not so good it can be a bit difficult or expensive if I have to call the UK.

Then contact Motu's German distributor

Klemm Music Technology Ot. Ziegenhagen
Sebastian-Kneipp-Str. 96
Witzenhausen D-37217
Germany
Phone: 49 5545 9509 00
Fax: 49 5545 9509 22
www.klemm-music.de
clange@klemm-music.de

Martin
Martin Walker