You are here

Running out of SATA ports, use Jmicron or eSata?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Running out of SATA ports, use Jmicron or eSata?

Postby Domenico » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Hello,

I hav been running out of Sata ports on my computer, as I have 4 hard drives and a CD-Rom drive occupying them. I have two empty sata ports but they are with the jMicron chip. I also have one empty slot that goes to an eSata in the front of the PC case.

I am going to get a new 1TB hard drive. Which would you think is the better way to connect it? The hard drive is going to be used for sample libraries streaming so the fastest and most stable connection is required. Will the jMicron sata ports cause problem? Will the eSata be as fast as a SATA port?

Thanks in advance!
Domenico
Regular

Cubase 5.5 RME UFX, Asus P6T, 12Gb Corsair Ram, Intel i7930, Powercore Firewire, Asus 9400GT Silent

Re: Running out of SATA ports, use Jmicron or eSata?

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:04 am

I tend to find the jMicron controllers slightly slower than the native Intel solutions probably due to the extra layer of abstraction, but then I'd expect to find that the eSata solution is controlled by the same jMicron chip, althrough you should check your manual to confirm that.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Domenico » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:53 am

Pete Kaine wrote:I tend to find the jMicron controllers slightly slower than the native Intel solutions probably due to the extra layer of abstraction, but then I'd expect to find that the eSata solution is controlled by the same jMicron chip, althrough you should check your manual to confirm that.

The eSata port in the front of the PC goes straight to one of the Sata ports in on the motherboard. I guess that should be fine?
Domenico
Regular

Cubase 5.5 RME UFX, Asus P6T, 12Gb Corsair Ram, Intel i7930, Powercore Firewire, Asus 9400GT Silent

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah, of course. I was just commenting on where exactly it went to on the board, as I imagine it'll be the same controller in either case so I wouldn't expect a speed difference between them.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster