You are here

two similar cpu's, two similar envs - huge difference in cpu load ratio

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

two similar cpu's, two similar envs - huge difference in cpu load ratio

Postby venman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:45 am

Hi there!
I've got a very unpleasant issue. Just bought a laptop with similar to my home pc cpu and started testing it in DAW.
In the same project with the same direct sound driver home cpu is loaded on 30% vs 85-99% of laptop's cpu!
The only main difference is that laptop is on Windows 7 vs XP on home computer and has 4gb ram vs 2gb of home comp.
Screenshots (sorry for episodic russian):

Home comp's cpu:

in FL:

Home comp's cpu:

in FL:

Please help!
venman
New here

Re: two similar cpu's, two similar envs - huge difference in cpu load ratio

Postby venman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:20 am

sorry, 3rd image is for laptop's cpu
venman
New here

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:25 am

This may just be illustrating that there's a LOAD of difference between a laptop and a full-sized computer, even if the CPUs have similar lables. Laptops are designed to be small and to be economical with battery power. Use one if you must have portability. But don't expect the same performance as a desktop machine.

You may be able to narrow the gap by looking at the laptop's Power Saving settings, CPU priority setting, run DPC Latency Checker to see if you should disable any onboard devices (this always seems more of an issue on a laptop than a desktop)...
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

Laptops tend to be a generation behind performance wise on a like for like chip.

So seeing a 20% drop in power between two chips that are from the same generation but one's a laptop and one's a desktop is perfectly normal.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Jussi_Eho » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:56 am

You don't even have same cpu's. Only the main architechture (core2duo) is the same and the clock frequency is nearly same.

But the laptop version is greatly optimized for low power consumption. For example if you look at the specs of these two processors the E7200 has a tdp value of 65W and the P8600 has a 25W of tdp. You can't conclude too much from these tdp's but most likely the desktop processor is much faster because of the differents in tdps. (The power consumption is somewhat equal to processing power because the architechture is the same and the litography 45nm is the same)
Jussi_Eho

Postby Jussi_Eho » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 am

Also you might get better results with both desktop and laptop is if you'd get a decent audio interface with good drivers. Your latency seem to be quite big in my opinion.
Jussi_Eho

Postby venman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 pm

thanks for you replies.
I may assume 20% difference, but not 60% and this looks really strange to me.
On the images where there are test results for processors it says that home computer cpu is 20.26 GFLOPS vs 20.2 GFLOPS on laptop's. Isn't that general cpu's calculations productivity value? The rest of values also look really similar..
venman
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I’m afraid comparing different computer’s performance in terms of calculations in GFLOPS doesn’t necessary relate to their relative audio performance.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby venman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Problem solved! That was a power scheme issue - even plugged in it was trying to save where possible and that wasn't obvious to me. Performance improved to 50% maximum at same project now, which makes much more sence. Again, thanks everyone for participation!
venman
New here

Postby venman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:47 am

And even improved to 35%!
You need to fight with Windows Seven for your processor :round1:
venman
New here

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 pm

venman wrote:And even improved to 35%!
You need to fight with Windows Seven for your processor :round1:

More so than with any other OS? I'm finding it very nifty. It's not unreasonable that default settings on a laptop may be optimised for battery life rather than performance.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:21 pm

venman wrote:Problem solved! That was a power scheme issue - even plugged in it was trying to save where possible and that wasn't obvious to me. Performance improved to 50% maximum at same project now, which makes much more sence. Again, thanks everyone for participation!

Ah, that classic :bouncy:

This is the most common reason for unexpectedly poor audio performance, particularly with laptops - have a read of this PC Notes column I write for SOS October 2010 on 'CPU Throttling':

www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct10/articles ... s-1010.htm

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode