You are here

Laptop audio issues

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Laptop audio issues

Postby Dave71 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I think this is off topic enough to drop in here

Im having audio issues from my laptop and recorded this last night http://soundcloud.com/dave71/audio-issue

i recorded it using my dj software so its taken directly from source. It intermittent as i can reload the same track and play it without the stuttering

Hdd reading issue, ram writing issue.

It generally comes to light after a couple of hours but is intermittent, the next song could be perfect. definately not related to my sound cards etc as i have swapped every external piece of equipment

Obviously try dismiss the fact its a god awful crap track to start with and just listen to the audio
Dave71
Regular
Why, when I started to play bass, did my wife leave me for a drummer?

Re: Laptop audio issues

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Dave71 -

This would be more visible in "PC Music". Perhaps a mod might move it.

The problem you're referring to in that clip isn't blindingly obvious. Is there a slight glitch on "lose"...? Could be helpful to provide some more details on the hardware spec and the software/method you're using to make the recording. Guess you've tried obvious stuff like defragmenting the drive, checking the Event log etc...
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. If you listen to the same track on youtube you can hear the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8&ob=av3e listen at 1.40

the version i have recorded has a definate stuttering on the bass and synth. ive also uploaded a clean version that i have just recorded using the same song and software http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

I have been having this intermittent stutter on tracks for a while now and have ruled out all my other gear by using different equipment.

Anyway im using
acer extensa 5620
intel core 2 duo T5450 1.66ghz
1gb ddr2
virtual dj pro
denon hc4500 midi controller/asio soundcard

I have carried out memtest today and after 3 passes no faults were reported.

Virtual Dj allows you to record mixes etc which is all done internally and the recording is a sample of what was happening on saturday night.

recreating the problem is difficult as its so intermittent. I have had my laptop running for 4 hours in my very warm office, playing all the previously affected tracks with not a glitch in sight.

Event log is clean right down to the time i played the track in question. several tracks were affected during the night and i didnt have time to record bits of all of them.

have done chkdsk and a defrag. More ram is in the post as i type and i can only see what happens at my next gig.

Dave71
Regular

Postby Dave71 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

I think i have just found the problem. After 6 hours of sitting in my very warm office playing a massive playlist in autoplay mode (i dont do that at gigs honest!!!) there were nio signs of any stutter.

By chance i switched off autoplay and was pratting about doing some mixing and "there she blows" as soon as i adjusted the pitch of a track with key lock enabled it started to stutter. reset the pitch and it was fine.

now to the cause. im off to look about on the VDJ forums and the additional Ram should be hear tomorrow.

a sample of whats been going on is here. the first part is clean the second with adjusted pitch and the stutter
http://soundcloud.com/dave71/audioissue
Dave71
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:37 am

The extra Ram might help, but I'd check your harddrive speed as well.

If it's streaming audio fine but then breaking up as you pitch bend then my best (well first) guess would be it can read from the drive fine but the isn't enough memory to cache it, so it's having to go back to the harddrive and re-read it when you make pitch adjustments, which it isn't doing in time and is leading to the break up you hear. Looking at the spec required for the cpu, it looks like you might be scraping in at the low end too so it could be a multitude of "just enoughs" failing to hack it.

See how your extra memory goes then perhaps look at a faster harddrive assuming it's only a 5400rpm.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks Pete

Obviously the easy solution is to but a new laptop. I was going to go to the full ram capacity with an ssd but it seems a bit much for a 3 year old machine. The lucrative xmas season will buy me a new machine as long as the snow stays away

Im keen to find the cause as part of the learing curve anyway.

My hdd is 5400 and i tried the same track from a usb pen with the same outcome. is there a way to monitor drive speed as well as read writing speed

Dave
Dave71
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:51 pm

You can bench the drive using HDtach/ATTO but not whilst it's in use. If it was a decent pen drive and replicated the issue you can probably rule out the drive. I suppose just hold fire, add the memory and see where you at once it's tried and tested.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Fixed

It was a software issue after all that. A few minor settings changes has made all the difference. Im up to 3gb ram anyway. with 2 tracks plying at the same time with a +10% pitch change and a key lock in place my cpu is ticking over nicely with no loss in audio quality

thanks for all the advice/info

Dave
Dave71
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Glad you're sorted

Martin
Martin Walker