You are here

Roland V drums HiHat midi problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Roland V drums HiHat midi problem

Postby gerrydoc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 am

I have a Roland TD12 kit with VH11 HiHat which works fine with the roland TD12 module. When I record into Cubase 6 Artist using midi I cannot get a half closed or closed sound ie; useless! I recorded a sample track and went into midi drum editor. Hitting the edge of the hat when open or closed produces no sound and is mapped to D0. Closing the hat with the pedal makes a note on G#1 and A#1 ( G# makes no sound when L clicked in the editor). Hitting the bell makes a note on A#.
I am new to using midi but from my reading wonder whether this is a drum map problem. The only map on the software is the GM general midi map. Is the solution to download a roland v drums drum map? Unfortunately searches on the Roland site and SOS bear no fruit. Can anyone help?
gerrydoc
New here

Re: Roland V drums HiHat midi problem

Postby Spangler » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi,
are you trying to use sounds within Cubase as opposed to the TD12's sounds? If so what you are trying to do is beyond the capabilities of Cubase on its own. You will need a drum VST instrument to achieve anywhere near realistic hi-hat behaviour. Toontrack's EZDrummer is probably one of the cheapest to work well with an electronic kit, though there are a few others.
If you're merely recording midi and playing it back to the TD12, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work...
Spangler
Regular

clicky

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Yep.

Most low-end drum instruments don't have a concept of hihats that range all the way from closed right through to fully open - they usually have just three - open, closet and pedal, sometimes a half-open sound as well.

You need something a bit more high-end to handle this.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: MT Dec 90
Needed: SOS April 1993. Can you donate your copy to complete the early SOS archive?

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:43 am

I notice the OP mentions drum maps - are you recording MIDI to a drum track and using the GM Drum Map? If you are, and all you intend is to play the MIDI back out to your drum brain then you don't need to use a drum map.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby gerrydoc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks for your interest.
I am recording a midi track using the v drums and this is linked through groove agent one to " rock drums dry" kit. I have played around with the GM drum map using drum editor to find out what pitches the roland is outputting and created a partially acceptable solution which allows me to play my drum kit into a project. Unfortunately playing a rimshot produces an acoustic snare message as well and getting rid of this gets rid of the snare sound altogether.
If however I change the groove agent kit to "rock drums cd" the hi hat does not work with my new drum map!
Steinberg tell me they do not have a V drums drum map but think I may be able to modify the midi messages sent from the v drums but I cannot work out how to do this.
gerrydoc
New here

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Ah, in that case the best bet probably would be to roll your own drum map - it's easy enough but a little tedious. I think there were some recent(ish!) articles in Cubase Notes on creating drum maps.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital