You are here

new sandy bridge build

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

new sandy bridge build

Postby fito_88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:53 am

hey guys im building a new pc dedicated only for music recording with Cubase and ableton , and i will mainly be recording midi.
my new build is :

CPU : i7-2700k Sandy Bridge

Motherboard : AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

PSU : Corsair HX-650

RAM : G.skill DDR3 16GB 1600 mhz

SSD for OS : Crucial m4 256 gb

HD : Hitachi 7200rpm 1gb

Case: Cooler Master HAF X 942

CPU COOLER : Noctua NH-D14

Case fan : CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200

is their any bottle necks about this build guys? specially the motherboard does it have any issues with stability or latency issues ?
fito_88
Poster

Re: new sandy bridge build

Postby johnny h » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:26 pm

fito_88 wrote:hey guys im building a new pc dedicated only for music recording with Cubase and ableton , and i will mainly be recording midi.
my new build is :

CPU : i7-2700k Sandy Bridge

Motherboard : AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

PSU : Corsair HX-650

RAM : G.skill DDR3 16GB 1600 mhz

SSD for OS : Crucial m4 256 gb

HD : Hitachi 7200rpm 1gb

Case: Cooler Master HAF X 942

CPU COOLER : Noctua NH-D14

Case fan : CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200

is their any bottle necks about this build guys? specially the motherboard does it have any issues with stability or latency issues ?

Possibly going a bit overboard with the amount of ram and size of SSD unless you are going to go mega heavy on some heavy sample banks.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby andy_rhcp » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm

I built myself a machine this week with specs not too different to you other than the processor.
I've use i7 2600k, 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz ram, asus p8h67 pro mobo (highly recommended) and no ssd.

This runs ridiculously quick, can't see any need for anything more powerful really, cubase runs like a charm.
andy_rhcp
Poster

Postby Tombot » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 am

I'll step up today as Pete Kaine is off sick....

From our experience...
The most reliable z68 boards are from ASUS and MSI.

The coolermaster case is designed for gaming and wont be quiet (and is a lot of cash for what you dont need, look at their sileo or silencio cases for about half the price).

look for this for the case fan, whisper quiet....
120mm Sharkoon "Golf Ball" Silent Eagle SE fan

It is however, a great time to buy RAM, load it up!
Try and find some low profile stuff as some motherboartds can have an issue fitting it in with the coolers.
Tombot
Regular

Postby uphillbothways » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

What tombot says, more or less.

The case, PSU and fans could all be quieter. These days it isn't difficult or expensive to get the whole computer below 20dBA at full load. Check out Silent PC Review for recommended components. The Sileo or Silencio line from Coolermaster, the Sonata line from Antec and the Define range from Fractal Design should be at the top of your shortlist.

A 650w PSU is serious overkill for that build. It's designed for people with two big GPUs pulling ~100w each. Even with a massive overclock, those components aren't going to be drawing more than 350w at full load. There are a number of fanless 400w PSUs available and very quiet 500w PSUs from Seasonic, Enermax and Silverstone. If you're sure you want a 650 watter, go for the Antec Signature 650.

Noctua case fans are well worth the cash. The S12B ULN is particularly impressive.
uphillbothways
Regular

Postby CaptainChoptastic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Tombot wrote:
The most reliable z68 boards are from ASUS and MSI.

How about Gigabyte? I was considering the GA-Z68XP-UD3P for a SB build later in the year (I'll need FireWire for my interface). It's got the "3XS Approved" label on it on the Scan website, as do a number of other Gigabyte boards. I can't see any MSIs with that accolade though.

I'm not sure that there's much of a benefit in getting the 2700K over the 2600K either. Granted that the price different isn't that much, but they've both got the same overclocking potential, so the performance difference will be negligable at best.

Si
CaptainChoptastic
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Your right about the 2600/2700 as it's pretty much the silicon just binned differently.

The approved tags apply to any kit used by our guys, be it video/gfx/gaming/audio so all sorts can tip up there and it isn't all going to be usable by audio guys.

The Gigabyte stuff used to be our go to choice but we've had more luck with Asus over the last few generations for one reason or another. The MSI stuff does test very well, they just always seem to be missing some feature or other that means they fail to get on our "must use" list.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainChoptastic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks Pete,

I've been looking at the ASUS boards too, but they don't seem to have much at the sensibly priced end that come with built-in FireWire - and I'd probably need a standard PCI slot too for my WiFi card.

Anything you can recommend? P8Z68 Deluxe for example? Or is that overkill?

I was thinking about going for one of Scan's pre-overclocked bundles, but looks like I'd be too limited on the choice of mobo to take that up.

Cheers,
Si
CaptainChoptastic
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm

None of this generation seems to have TI chipsets that are the best solution for audio users for the FW, so i'd suggest just going with the board that get's closest to your feature set at a good price and then add in a TI based FW card into one of the 1X PCIE slots. You can get a TI card for around £20 so it'll probably work out better value to get a more basic board for around £100 and get the card rather than spend £250 on a board with FW on it that may or may not work smoothly!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Doug Tate » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:31 am

Just to mention, I used the Asrock board for my i5 2500k build, largely because I plan to upgrade to ivy bridge and wanted pci3.0. It's been great, no issues, plus the onboard firewire works with my digidesign 003r. It's currently overclocked to 4.4Ghz at stock volts, and would probably go further if I wanted it to.
Doug Tate
New here