You are here

Freeware AC30 sim VST?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello,
I was wondering does there exist a free VST plugin for simulating a Vox AC30 TB?
My researches have proved unfruitful so far.
Thanks for any hint.
Regards,
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Bob Moose » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:47 am

Pat Nghia Long wrote:Thanks for any hint.
Did you check this?
http://www.voxamps.com/uk/amplug/

I know, these are (inexpensive) headphones amplifiers but as you are looking for the AC30 sound...

Alternatively, you could find an AC30, record a few different impulse responses and use them within a freeware convolver.

Cheers
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi Pat,

Not specifically what you’re after, but you might find something useful in this freeware collection of guitar effects/amps:

www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

It includes simulations of:

- Boss DS-1 (Distortion stompbox)
- Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive stompbox)
- Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)
- Oberheim PS-1 (Phaser stompbox)
- Univox Univibe (Modulations stompbox)
- Fender Twin 1969 (Guitar amplifier)
- Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb (Guitar amplifier)

Hope something in here proves useful - they may look might basic, but the sounds are well up to scratch :beamup:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 10100
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode


Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Bob Moose wrote:
Pat Nghia Long wrote:Thanks for any hint.
Did you check this?
http://www.voxamps.com/uk/amplug/

I know, these are (inexpensive) headphones amplifiers but as you are looking for the AC30 sound...

Alternatively, you could find an AC30, record a few different impulse responses and use them within a freeware convolver.

Cheers
-j

Hello,
Thanks for the hint. The amplug seems indeed to be an affordable solution at recording stage. The thing is I am looking for post-treatment in a DAW, recording straight.
Regards,
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hi Pat,

Not specifically what you’re after, but you might find something useful in this freeware collection of guitar effects/amps:

www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

It includes simulations of:

- Boss DS-1 (Distortion stompbox)
- Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive stompbox)
- Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)
- Oberheim PS-1 (Phaser stompbox)
- Univox Univibe (Modulations stompbox)
- Fender Twin 1969 (Guitar amplifier)
- Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb (Guitar amplifier)

Hope something in here proves useful - they may look might basic, but the sounds are well up to scratch :beamup:


Martin
Hello, and thanks for that suite, they do sound very convincing, I am happy to have them in my plugin folder.
Up to now I used mda's plugin suite (Mda plugins), which has a decent overdrive, and also an amp sim but simulanalog has far more tonal range.

On the hardware front of course there are decent sims out there, even at a budget price. The Korg AX3G multi-effect has a decent AC30 and AC15 sim. But like I said, I would like to find that as a VST to use once the (dry) recording is in the box.

Especially as, and I guess I am not the only one, what I am looking for is not so much the Vox's hard overdriven sound (Brian May), as the typical light crunch it gives, that feverish sizzle when the clean sound is breaking up... You need to adjust it precisely enough, I think, and it feels much more comfortable doing that at mixing stage without having to commit to a sound that's over-dirty right from the start.

Thanks very much again for the simulanalog link.
Regards,
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 pm

Hello,
This resource is probably widely known already, but just in case, I would like to share it as I found it quite usable.
Its a vst amp that has an interesting behaviour at light crunch gain levels.
It hasn't the tonal colour of the AC30, but it does share features with it. It doesn't sound over-distorted, over-compressed or too dull.
It's free.
The download page, with description, is here:
LeXTAC
Regards,
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Brittany

Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Spangler » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm

If you're just after a one-off, NI's Guitar Rig will operate in demo mode for 30 mins and has a decent AC30 in there.
Spangler
Regular
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Newcastle

clicky


Re: Freeware AC30 sim VST?

Postby Pat Nghia Long » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:49 am

Spangler wrote:If you're just after a one-off, NI's Guitar Rig will operate in demo mode for 30 mins and has a decent AC30 in there.

That's good to know. Thanks.
Regards,
Pat Nghia Long
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Brittany


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest