You are here

Boot failure after power supply overheated

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Boot failure after power supply overheated

Postby Marbury » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:45 am

This has been going on for some time with my Medion (from Aldi) PC running Windows XP. A couple of times the fan in the PSU has stopped resulting in me taking it apart and fixing it. There were no obvious reasons why it failed but I keep it monitored with Sppedfan software which monitors the temp. Sod's law I went to make a brew, come back upstairs and the screen was black with "Boot Failure". I checked the fan in the PSU and it wasn't running. After getting it going again I tried a re-boot but again and again it showed "Boot Failure". Suspecting the drive had died I checked it in a spare PC and it was fine (although when I tried to access "My Documents" I was given an "Access denied" warning). Putting it back in the failed PC it has now booted up fine and the fan is running. I did get a windows message saying my system had recovered from a serious failure.

Will a failed PSU fry a motherboard and drive ? The current one is 350 w.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Re: Boot failure after power supply overheated

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am

Sounds like it could be a connector issue if you can fix it each time (what do you do to fix it?), but I'd spend £20 or so on a new one just to be safe. In fact, I'd be tempted to spend a little more on a decent brand but I guess you are probably on a tight budget.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Marbury » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:59 am

I just took out the PSU and gave it a clean, put it back together and it worked. The last time the fan failed I just gave it a nudge and it worked also. I can afford a new PSU if it means saving my PC from frying. The PSU has the old type power connectors though as it's a 2004 model. What would you recommend for a 350 w ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:13 am

I suspect it is just the fan stalling, probably has a tight bearing. You could fit a new fan but they rarely fail so if you can find a scrap PSU the one in it is likely to be ok.

That is not to say a new PSU is not a good idea and if the computer is a bit old no matter, a spare PSU is never a bad thing even if only for the purpose of elimination.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Marbury » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:51 am

It just stooped again this morning but as the PC was starting to act strange I suspected it and turned it off in time. Would a new PSU still be ok in an old 2004 PC or will the cables be different ?
Marbury
Frequent Poster