You are here

Anyone using a MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB PCIe GC?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Anyone using a MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB PCIe GC?

Postby Li-rocchi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Hi all

Following my other recent post in which I suspect that my PNY 9600GT GC is formally deceased, I am thinking of downgrading and replacing to determine whether the GC is definitely the problem. I originally bought the 9600GT so that I could dual boot and use the PC for games occasionally too.... In the 4 years I've had it I have played games only a handful of times, so might as well get something with less wattage, RAM and general oomph.

I've got my eyes on a used MSI 8600GT (passive), and wondered if anyone uses one of these here and could share their thoughts?

My system specs are:

Intel DP35SP mobo
Intel Q6600 CPU
2x2GB Corsair RAM
PaQ case
Windows XP

Would be great if anyone has one of these in a PaQ case, so that I can be confident it will fit ok. But more generally, can anyone tell me whether it takes up two or three slots?

One last thing...... I have not kept up with GCs since building my PC in 2008, and no doubt countless cards have come out since. So if anyone thinks I'd be stupid to go for such an old card, please tell me what modern card you think would be better. Things I need are:

- silence/passive
- not too much RAM (because the DP35DP does not re-map memory
- does not generate a lot of heat
- dual DVI

Huge thanks for any advice

Max
Li-rocchi
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone using a MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB PCIe GC?

Postby necromunger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:44 pm

i was looking at one of these but its got 2gb ram and i cant find one for sale anywhere

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/news_show-214.shtml
necromunger
Regular

Postby Li-rocchi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Someone else mentioned that most modern GCs are 1gb or over. Would you agree?
Li-rocchi
Frequent Poster

Postby necromunger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:50 am

Someone else mentioned that most modern GCs are 1gb or over. Would you agree?

yes i have a ati hd5850 and a hd4350

necromunger
Regular

Postby DGL. » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:47 am

Talking about the 2gb 6450 I have the 1gb version of what I believe is the same card (made by HIS less than 1 year old) and foe the money is a good card. has a built in 7.1 soundcard (well not really needed for a pro audio pc but a nice extra) which means you get audio over HDMI. Mine came with 3 brackets, one for standard (full height HDMI, DVI and VGA) one for half height HDMI and DVI and a seperate one for VGA (it can't be used on it's own so not VGA only).
It does need to get a bit hot but no more than can be expected from a passive card and the heatsink is not so large that I cannot fit a small PCIe (the one from my ESI 1010e) next to it.
Although non of the major suppliers seems to sell it anymore (originally purchased from ebuyer)
It was this card
DGL.
Frequent Poster