You are here

Weird MIDI problem in Cubase. HELP!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Weird MIDI problem in Cubase. HELP!

Postby Phil Reynolds » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:03 pm

OK, so I'm running Cubase 5 and, apart from my previously mentioned Liquid Mix issues, things are generally fine. But over the last few days, high weirdness has started happening.

I've just binned my E4K as a master keyboard (anybody wanna buy one? It sort of works a bit), and have replaced it with an EMU longboard which is a surprisingly handy bit of kit for the cash.

I was running the MIDI out of the E4K into the MIDI in port on my Tascam FW1080, which was feeding stuff to Cubase. Bit laggy, but meh. I coped.

The Longboard is running straight into a USB port and is showing up in Cubase as "USB audio input", which it's supposed to and has thus far been fine.

BUT

When I press, say D4 on the keyboard, I'm getting (for example) a random run of notes in no particular timing or tempo followed by a held B5 for example. Very odd. I fired up SX3 and got the same results. I've not changed any MIDI settings, or anything that would otherwise affect this.

I are confused. Which I shouldn't be as it's my birthday.

So help.
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Re: Weird MIDI problem in Cubase. HELP!

Postby Phil Reynolds » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm aware nobody was particularly interested in this, but just in case anyone has a similar problem in future, it seems to have been the result of a dodgy USB cable.
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.