You are here

Akai LPK25 with V-Machine?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Akai LPK25 with V-Machine?

Postby Zaxx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 am

Not sure where this should go, but as it's VST-related I'll try here.

Am I right in thinking that the editing software for the LPK25 isn't required by the keyboard once the user has finished editing the keyboard's presets? In other words, is the software NOT in any way an interface or driver? I'm thinking of purchasing an LPK25 (I want its arpeggiator!) to use with a V-Machine standalone hardware VST player, which of course can't host the keyboard's editing software. I'm guessing that I can simply run the software on a PC, edit the presets, then connect the LPK25 to the V-Machine with my editing intact. Anyone know if this is correct? An e-mail to Akai's tech support team has produced a baffled silence; I'm sure I'll have more luck here. Thanks!
Zaxx
Poster

Re: Akai LPK25 with V-Machine?

Postby John Reid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Your assumption is correct in that the software is basically an editor, which you could use from another computer in order to set up the LPK25, after which the LPK25 can be attached to any class-compliant USB host and will work.

The sticky bit is whether the V-Machine will host the LPK25 properly, however a quick look at the specs would suggest it will ("compatible with USB MIDI and USB mass storage class compliant devices"). The LPK25 is so cheap I think it's worth a shot!
John Reid
Regular

Postby Zaxx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for that, John - you're thinking what I'm thinking/hoping. I didn't mention class compliancy as this was never the issue, since I know both widgets are cc - I was just concerned whether the LPK25 would retain my edits without reference to the original software. Reckon I'll take a punt on this.
Zaxx
Poster

Postby Zaxx » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm

...and I've now heard back from Akai confirming this, so all good.
Zaxx
Poster