You are here

Decent VST Reverb Plugin Wanted

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Decent VST Reverb Plugin Wanted

Postby Guitarman » Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 am

HI All

Can anyone recommend something.

Free would be good but reasonable price is ok as well.

It's for guitar use only.

Thanks

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Re: Decent VST Reverb Plugin Wanted

Postby ezza » Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 am

ezza
Regular

Postby twotoedsloth » Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 pm

The Waves Renaissance reverb is very good at any price, but it's now just $64 if you're in Canada or the USA.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 22, 2012 11:02 am

For free I would suggest Bootsy's Epicverb. I also find Silverspike's Room Machine very useful when you want shorter ambiences to liven up drums.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby KONTAKT1968 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I highly recommend checking out Valhalladsp.
Ubermod, room and shimmer are all different but excellent you can d/l demo and see if one suits you they are about £30 each though.
KONTAKT1968
New here

Postby Will_m » Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 pm

I've just bought spaces from EW which I'm really impressed with, there are pretty much zero options for tweaking but the preset verbs sound lovely very lush and great for the cinematic sound as there are lots of big sound stages and concert halls.
Will_m
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 pm

What DAW are you using? Most have a decent reverb plugin bundled. A good starting point would be to use that as a starting point. Let us know what you already have, and more importantly, what it is about it that you feel doesn't meet your needs.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Guitarman » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks for the replies.

DAW is Sonar X1 and the reverbs always sound tinny and metallic.

I really should get a Lexicon,but being computer based,and everything
I use is a Plugin,I wanted something as smooth as a Lexicon.

Maybe I want to much.

Alan
Guitarman
Regular

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

TC Electronic was giving away a reverb plugin based on the M2000. It's not available from TC Electronic anymore, and I'm not sure of the legality of this, but since it was free, maybe it is okay to pass it on without violating any laws? I don't have a copy of this myself, since it was a 3 day offer only and I missed it.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby The Telenator » Wed May 23, 2012 6:26 pm

If verbs are always sounding metallic on your Sonar, then somthing is possibly set incorrectly, because the engine and build on that one is nearly identical to many others. In fact, it been shown that most DAW are practically the same for (set flat) sound. People are always saying they prefer the 'sound' of one over another, but they don't really have a 'sound.' Perceptions of differences are coming from some other factor(s).

No one mentioned Ambience -- love it, good on guitar, too. How about Elottronix, and then you can sound all loopy guitar, just like Robert Fripp? The AntressModern series has some interesting offerings; let's see, ModernFlashverb, ModernSpacer I think. Then there are the multi-FX plugs, such as LUXONIX LX-1310. There's always the Kjaerhus Classic Reverb. I find that acceptable for guitar and many things, though not vocals or violins. Note also that some of the delays can be pulled back to a reverb or have some as a second feature. Okay, so, those are the free ones. Did you mention money?
The Telenator
Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Sat May 26, 2012 8:37 am

The Telenator wrote:If verbs are always sounding metallic on your Sonar, then somthing is possibly set incorrectly, because the engine and build on that one is nearly identical to many others. In fact, it been shown that most DAW are practically the same for (set flat) sound. People are always saying they prefer the 'sound' of one over another, but they don't really have a 'sound.' Perceptions of differences are coming from some other factor(s)

DAWs may not have a 'sound', but reverbs absolutely do, and they are as much a matter of taste as cheese, whiskey or wine, so I'd be inclined to believe the OP rather than putting it down to incorrect settings.

I've never found a reverb I thought sounded completely natural (even convolution) but a few that are "good enough" for me are Reaper's free built-in ReaVerb (convolution), the Quantec Yardstick model for Reaktor, and BreVerb Lite.

The worst reverb I ever heard was the one built into Cubase VST 5 (the old one!), it was far worse even than my Yamaha R100 hardware reverb.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."