You are here

What are the best high-end and best sounds production software effect VSTs do you guys think?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

What are the best high-end and best sounds production software effect VSTs do you guys think?

Postby Parco » Tue May 22, 2012 4:27 pm

the effects are:
EQ
compressor (single band or multi-band)
stereo imager / surrounding imager / depth imager / stereo ambience recovery
reverberation
saturator or warmer or tape/tube simulator
limiter or maximumizer (single band or multi-band)
dithering and noise shaping

And note that I am not talking about the hardware effecters but the software effecter plugins which can be run in every DSP or no DSP just CPU.

And I'm now just using waves 9 bundle so I think there may be a lot of better then waves 9, e.g. psp? voxengo? algorithmix? lexicon? or any else?
And do they all provide the real native x64 VST?
:beamup:
Parco
Regular

Sonar PLT + Foobar2000 -> ASIO + MMCSS + Windows 10 -> SIIG NN-E20012-S2 -> Echo AudioFire 4 -> HH MX250 + Wharf Delta70 A native USA style contemporary R&B artist in HongKong

Re: What are the best high-end and best sounds production software effect VSTs do you guys think?

Postby Bob Moose » Tue May 22, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't really know, there are many good plugins and it's a matter of preference. And there are different kinds of EQ, compressor, etc. For example, there are linear phase EQs, coloured EQs, emulation EQs, or maybe you want to combine several different filters for making your own EQ, etc.

Why do you want all from the same editor? I would personally choose the ones I prefer no matter who is making them.

If it helps, the Stillwell Audio plugins are usually very good, rather inexpensive, and can be tested without any functional or time limit.
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Re: What are the best high-end and best sounds production software effect VSTs do you guys think?

Postby desmond » Tue May 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm not sure the world needs more generic threads on what plugins people like.

Seriously - google around and you'll come up with hundreds of discussions on this sort of thing ready to go, and you can compile you own list of which products seem interesting to you to go and demo.

What tools I like speak to my workflow, tastes, aesthetics and music, none of which might be at all similar to yours - what works for me won't necessarily work so well for you. Finding your tools that suit you is part of finding your production "voice". Most of us use different tools for different jobs - there is no one EQ or one compressor I reach for in every case.

Sure, I have favourite tools that I go to a lot for specific tasks, but there are no rules here. If you already have the large Waves bundle you're not exactly lacking in choice - there are plenty of quality tools in there.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby BJG145 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Classic case of what someone recently called analysis paralysis. Stop debating and start creating. :tongue:
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Moose » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Bob Moose wrote:If it helps, the Stillwell Audio plugins are usually very good, rather inexpensive, and can be tested without any functional or time limit.
And yes, if you have Waves isn't it already ok? Sorry I forgot this when writing
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster