You are here

Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase?

Postby lovesexy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi All

I have to edit 8 tracks of drums on 6 songs. Generally there are 4-6 takes. I'm using Cubase 5 and would like to know the easiest way to edit the tracks.
Obviously I'm using the 'lines fixed ' option for the kick, snare, hi hat, overheads etc but it will take forever to solo each take. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lovesexy
Regular

Re: Editing 8 tracks of drums in Cubase?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

lovesexy wrote:
I have to edit 8 tracks of drums on 6 songs. Generally there are 4-6 takes. I'm using Cubase 5 and would like to know the easiest way to edit the tracks.
Obviously I'm using the 'lines fixed ' option for the kick, snare, hi hat, overheads etc but it will take forever to solo each take. Any ideas?

Well, unless the drummer was VERY accurate and consistent (in which case, why did you need 6 takes?) you'll be choosing between the various multi-mic recordings of each take, not picking snare from take 1, overheads from take 2...etc. I'd make a Folder Track for each take, each containing the 8 tracks of that take. I think Cubase 5 had Folder Tracks?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:36 pm

And if you at all want to keep editing multi-mic kits simple I'd STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to C6.

Firstly, you'll get multi-track phase-aligned audio quantising.

Secondly, you can edit multi-track takes in 'lanes'.

Thirdly, the '=' button synchronises all editing within a folder track to each track it contains.

Essentially you can work with a multi-track group of drum mic's as if they were a single audio track. It's worth the price of admission alone.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mixedup » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm

The Elf wrote:And if you at all want to keep editing multi-mic kits simple I'd STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to C6.

Thirdly, the '=' button synchronises all editing within a folder track to each track it contains.

Essentially you can work with a multi-track group of drum mic's as if they were a single audio track. It's worth the price of admission alone.

+1

You can drag and drop takes onto different lanes in C5, but its a PITA and easy to make bad-sounding mistakes. C6.5 makes things much, much easier.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:37 am

Cheapskate alarm here!

If you can get the job done inside a month you could download the demo of Cubase 6. You need a dongle but even if you had to buy another one, still a good deal!

A couple of years ago I had 50 sides of punk 45s to clean up and pulled the same stroke with Sony Soundforge. I reckon I have "paid them back" by my reccomending the software at every opportunity since on forums!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby C.LYDE » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 am

The Elf wrote:And if you at all want to keep editing multi-mic kits simple I'd STRONGLY recommend considering an upgrade to C6.

+2...
C.LYDE
Regular