You are here

Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP?

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:31 pm

I am looking to upgrade to an audio interface with 4 inputs and 4 outputs. The Komplete Audio 6 and the EIE Pro are looking likely candidates but do either of them have drivers for Windows XP? NI's website only mentions Windows 7.

(Exhortations to upgrade to Windows 7 will be ignored as it will probably kill my laptop!)
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Re: Komplete Audio 6 / Akai EIE Pro - Windows XP?

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:01 pm

In NI's case this came up recently for another forum user who failed to get the older XP drivers out of them. I did try hitting up the UK arm, but they directed me to the Germans with a jolly "best of luck" to send me off. You could try hitting them up directly and asking for the legacy drivers, but they don't seem overly keen to allow them back into circulation no matter how hard you try to bribe them. I do know the have been a few revisions to the hardware in the last year, and its entirely possible the new models don't work with the old drivers anymore but that's just a guess on my behalf really.

I've not looked into the Akai side of things but I do know that unit came out long after XP went end of life, so if you don't see it anywhere on the Akai website you may be out of luck on that side too, but once again probably wouldn't hurt to drop them a line.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm

That's a bit of a bugger, re. NI.

I downloaded Akai's user guide for the EIE Pro and that does specifically mention Windows XP. Perhaps that's the way to go for me.

Unless there are any well-thought-of interfaces I could pick up second hand from fleaBay. 4 analogue in, 4 analogue out, don't care about digital i/o, preferable USB2. Suggestions welcome!
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Interestingly I have just been scouting around, still on the hunt for audio interfaces, and came across this on Native Instruments' web site

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates#Komplete_Audio_6

which appears to have XP drivers for Komplete Audio 6?
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Gary_W » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 pm

In my experience with NI kit, it's great if it works. If it does not, you have a heck of a job getting through to a tech support person.

I've had / have Kore 2, Maschine, Guitar rig with the hardware bit and also Komplete. No major issues. I bought the Komplete audio interface and had several weeks of complete frustration. In the end, I returned it and got a Focusrite interface. Raising a ticket with NI support and then waiting days then emailing them again then getting ignored. When they do respond, it is typically to send you a copy of the FAQ which you've already explained that you've read and done. Repeat to fade.

All of the above was on a system that is using the official drivers for Windows 7 - if they don't seem keen to help a very regular customer who is using the 'correct' drivers, I don't fancy your chances if you have any issues on XP as they'll just blame you

It's a real shame as those who have no issues with this interface (which seems to be almost everyone) seem to love it so I'm sure it's good with the above 'if it works for you and if it doesn't you're on your own' caveat.
Gary_W
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm

To be honest, I think I am just going to stick with my trusty Emu 0202 for now. Hell, it does minimum latency quite nicely in Reaper so I may as well stick with it. I'll upgrade it when the laptop finally turns up its toes.

If I need to process external audio (the primary reason for wanting more outs) then I can manage it with a bit of faffing around.
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 am

Hairy Ears wrote:Interestingly I have just been scouting around, still on the hunt for audio interfaces, and came across this on Native Instruments' web site

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=freeupdates#Ko...

which appears to have XP drivers for Komplete Audio 6?

AFAIK offical support for XP was dropped in 3.00 and they don't appear to have anything before that available anywhere...

Happy to be proved wrong!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Went with the Akai in the end. Flaky ASIO drivers in Studio One, but fine in Reaper.

Had a play with ASIO4ALL drivers as I prefer to work in Studio One and all is fine using that, indeed I can get much better latency in Studio One than with the native Akai drivers (when they work!)

Other than that, it is so far turning out to be a decent lump of hardware. I'm a sucker for knobs and switches, me
Rich Hanson
Regular

SoundCloud

7 Digital