You are here

Mystery problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Mystery problem

Postby ElectronicMusicMaker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi there - I'm not expecting a solution from this post, just curious as to your opinions on what might have happened or if you've experienced the like before.

I have a laptop, designed and built for audio purposes, that I use to perform live with. One gig it just wouldn't work - first time I turned it on it seemed OK until I loaded my Live set - it thought about it for long time then switched itself off without loading the set. Each subsequent attempt to start it up failed as it switched itself off a few seconds after Windows was loaded. It probably didn't stay on longer than 30 seconds any time. It wouldn't restart normally, and wouldn't / couldn't identify or fix any errors that had possibly occurred.

When I got home the next day, I turned it on expecting to have to do some major recovery work, but after explaining windows was going to search for and fix any errors, it was fine. Since then I have had no problems.

I wonder if it stemmed from the Live file I tried to open. I had been using 'save as' to save a series of different sets for different gigs and wonder whether after doing this multiple times I had confused things regarding audio file location etc. Ever since I have been very careful to 'collect all and save' and make sure all files etc are in the appropriate project folder where they need to be.

All just speculation - it is hard to identify the problem as it hadn't happened before or since!

Any thoughts to add to my amateur speculation?
ElectronicMusicMaker
Poster

Re: Mystery problem

Postby robinv » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Consider temperatures - it sounds like the behaviour you'd see if it was overheating. Maybe the vents on the laptop were blocked - did you have it on a soft chair or resting on anything other than a hard surface? They can overheat very quick - just a thought.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby ElectronicMusicMaker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I thought that too, it wasn't on a soft surface, or blocked or vents covered - but I did point a desk fan it at it the next day just in case. It was on a music stand not flat, and not massively steep, but still at an angle... No idea. Like I said, never happened again, in fact has been rock solid several times since, for recording and performing.
ElectronicMusicMaker
Poster

Postby Sabbs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Have a look in the system and security logs. There may be some clue in there.

If the entry in the eventlog is cryptic look up the error ID on the internet it may help work out what went on.

Thanks
Sabbs
Poster

Sabbs