You are here

Upgrade or Repair?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Upgrade or Repair?

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Greetings.

My dual socket 16 core AMD machine seems to be dying. It reboots whenever I plug in a USB device. I can avoid this by plugging in the USB device before turning on the computer.

My question is, should I just scrap it and move on to a new machine, or should I try to repair it?

If I go the repair route, I guess I would try a new power supply first, then a new motherboard. However, dual socket G34 motherboards are not cheap!

I was thinking of "upgrading" to a 3.5 ghz Ivy Bridge, but it really seems like a couple of steps down going from 16 cores to 4 cores.

Your thoughts?
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Re: Upgrade or Repair?

Postby BJG145 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:My dual socket 16 core AMD machine seems to be dying. It reboots whenever I plug in a USB device. I can avoid this by plugging in the USB device before turning on the computer.

Does that happen with different sockets...? Might it be worth trying a powered USB hub, or disabling automatic restarts and trying to debug the BSOD?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090910060311AA8Zw9q
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby twotoedsloth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I did try a powered hub, but it consistently lost devices that were plugged into it. For example, I'd be transferring a file from my USB stick to my computer and during the transfer it would halt and Windows would be unable to see the device.

And yes, it seems to happen with all USB sockets. I even purchased a USB 2 PCI card in case that was the problem.
twotoedsloth
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

twotoedsloth wrote:I did try a powered hub, but it consistently lost devices that were plugged into it. For example, I'd be transferring a file from my USB stick to my computer and during the transfer it would halt and Windows would be unable to see the device.

I had this a lot with my office PC, and a powered hub didn't help at all. I put it down to the devices drawing too much power. I added a USB card (not an external hub) to my PC, at which point all such problems went away.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.