You are here

64 bit or 32 bit plugins

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

64 bit or 32 bit plugins

Postby paleface » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm

hello folks im having a brand new 64 bit windows seven machine delivered tommorow

and ive got a few question regard plugins and wich type to use

if i use the 64bit version of cubase can i still use 32 bit plugins inside it ?

and if so how does memory allocation work?
is cubase itself allowed access to all available memory
but the 32 bit plugins just acces to the 3and a half gig thats normally available on a 32 bit machine ,or are the plugins allowed individual acces of up to 3.5 gig each ?

would i be better off using the 32 bit version of cubase
and would the plugins i then use be allowed full access to its own 3.5 gig
or just a portion of the 3and a half gig that cubase can itself access?
paleface
Regular

Re: 64 bit or 32 bit plugins

Postby robinv » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:48 pm

paleface wrote:
hello folks im having a brand new 64 bit windows seven machine delivered tommorow

and ive got a few question regard plugins and wich type to use

if i use the 64bit version of cubase can i still use 32 bit plugins inside it ?

and if so how does memory allocation work?
is cubase itself allowed access to all available memory
but the 32 bit plugins just acces to the 3and a half gig thats normally available on a 32 bit machine ,or are the plugins allowed individual acces of up to 3.5 gig each ?

With 64bit Windows 32bit plugs can use a full 4GB of memory assuming you have more than 4GB in your machine. They run in something called a "Bit Bridge" which is like a wrapper for the 32bit plugs so they can run in a 64bit host - it's not flawless and is a bit of a fudge but for the majority of well written plugs it works fine. A lot of plugs have 64bit versions so make sure you seek out and install the latest versions of your plug-ins. The 32bit plugs have access to the 4GB of memory made available by the bit bridge - not individually - it's like they are running in a 32bit host within a 64bit host if that makes sense.

paleface wrote:
would i be better off using the 32 bit version of cubase
and would the plugins i then use be allowed full access to its own 3.5 gig
or just a portion of the 3and a half gig that cubase can itself access?

Running 32bit plugs in 32bit Cubase might be more stable but then you are restricted to 4GB of RAM in total (not individually).

Best thing to do is first get 64bit versions of as much as you can, then try Cubase 64 and see how you go.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

I've now committed to using Cubase 64-bit (Cubase 7) and am gradually hunting down the 32-bit plug-ins that no longer work properly.

At first I was pleased to find that most of my 32-bit plug-ins *seemed* to be working, but as time has gone on I've found many of them to be flakey - hanging, producing blank windows and doing other odd things.

It's a case of just try it and see - but don't forget that you can have both 32 and 64-bit versions of Cubase installed and switch between them at any time.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am

robinv wrote:
Running 32bit plugs in 32bit Cubase might be more stable but then you are restricted to 4GB of RAM in total (not individually).

If you really need to run 32bit the other working option is that you can run 64bit plugs in a 32bit sequencer using jbridge and each instance of the plug will see it's own memory space seperate to the 3.5GBish that the sequencer has access too. I'm still running mine as a 32 bit client on a 64bit OS with 64bit Reactor and Kontakt jbridged back in althrough I suspect I'd see a sizable increase in performance if I just finally made the leap myself.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster