You are here

Phew - Lucky Escape! (Or the value of making backups!)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Phew - Lucky Escape! (Or the value of making backups!)

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

I just feel like saying "thank god for Norton Ghost". Due to a brain fart of my own I managed to bugger up the registry on my XP machine such that Windows wouldn't boot, not even in safe mode. Just restored to the backup I made on Monday and all is back to normal. :headbang:

I guess what I am saying is "take some time out to make backups, they *will* save your bacon one day!" :bouncy:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

SoundCloud 7 Digital

Re: Phew - Lucky Escape! (Or the value of making backups!)

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Spread the word! :D

But I can tell you - nobody ever listens until it's too late... :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm

When it comes to my data, I try to go by the maxim that digital data doesn't exist until it's in at least three places :)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

SoundCloud 7 Digital

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:43 pm

When I was a struggling musician (now I just struggle lol) I used to compliment my income by teaching IT programing in local colleges and I used to tell the students "Rule #1 of computing is Backup, Rule #2 is Backup and I'll leave you all to work out what Rule #3 is!"

And imaging software is especially useful for complex music setups - drivers, activations, passwords, serials, configs, application/user data all returned to fully functional in a matter of minutes, next best thing to a magic wand. You simply cannot overdo backup
OneWorld
Frequent Poster