You are here

Drums for Reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Drums for Reaper

Postby Atmospherium » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm looking fir a DAW with programmable midi drums. Does Reaper come with this facility, or if not will it accept a plug-in. Also can anyone tell me how to go about either?

Many thanks
Atmospherium
Poster

Re: Drums for Reaper

Postby The Elf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Some DAWs come with basic sample playback engines (e.g. Cubase has Groove Agent), but any basic VST sample player will let you progam drum hits in your DAW. Shortcircuit gets some good press. I've tried it myself and find it a bit obscure, but it does work and can't be moaned about as a freebie.

One of the more sophisticated drum-centric plug-ins would be Native Instruments' Battery, but more often these days I avoid Battery and use Kontakt instead. Not budget options, but very definitely the cream of the crop IMO.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IvanSC » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:48 am

Reaper and most other decent DAW software will accept drum VSTi plugins.

I am a Reaper user and currently own many, many different drum "romplers" (drum sample players) which are very easy to use if you are able to use basic MIDI functions. Most come with a variety of useful MIDI loops pre-programmed that you can drop into your drum track, too.

If you have Kontakt either free or the paid version, analoguedrums.com make a range of very nice kits, which range in price from free to around $39.

I love their splitsticks and the free Big Mono.

The bigger players like Toontrack (EZDrummer and Superior Drummer), Steven Slate Drums, Big Fat Drums, etc., all have regular sales so it is sometimes worth picking up something cheap and basic & then trying all the demos & buying when the price is right.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby David Else » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

I would recommend using a free VST sample player. As mentioned, the free Shortcircuit http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php is great, but even better is the new Sforzando http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

Using either of these you can load up free .SFZ kits and program the drum patterns in your DAW of choice.

At this point in time Sforzando is limited to having only 1 stereo output, but multiple outputs have been promised as an update soon. Sforzando is full x64 compatible and is fully supported, Shortcircuit is no longer supported but has many more features.

The best free (acoustic) drum kit I heard is the Big Mono http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php, there is a .SFZ mapping http://www.drealm.info/sfz/AnalogueDrums/

Hope that was of help :)
David Else

Postby BoogieBear » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:42 pm

EZDrummer/Superior Drummer work well inside REAPER and there's plenty of help on the forum about setting up ready-to-go templates ;)

Cheers
BoogieBear
Regular
You see when I was a young kid Elvis was top of the charts - That's 'Presley' not Costello!

Postby tim_obrien » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

EZDrummer is great and works well with Reaper.

If you're strapped for cash use free soundfonts of SFZ sampled drums.
You can strip the midi drums out of any midi song file (just find some in your gendre)
or there are places like www.groovemonkee.com that make good midi drum files in various styles.
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm

David Else wrote:Hope that was of help :)

Well if no-one else is gong to say I will ;)

Yes, those links you posted were very useful, so thanks.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the SOS Forums David! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode