You are here

spare PC for effects

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

spare PC for effects

Postby Oliver21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm

I have a spare PC which I would like to press back into service for plugins (to take the strain off my main PC) My question is will need to have another version of Cubase running on this pc to use the plugins or is there some other way of arranging them to output through my standard. I will be using a Soundscape Mixtreme with the SS8IO analogue interface to bring the effects back into my analog mixer
Oliver21
Regular

Re: spare PC for effects

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm sure someone will come along and explain the technicalities (Cubase itself has a way of linking another PC by utilising a digital connection between the two), but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

IMO it's quicker and easier to freeze tracks, render effects and generally look at processor-saving techniques rather try to keep two PCs happily talking to each other, with all of the overheads that entails.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Chaparazzi » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi Oliver.

I use http://www.viennaensemblepro.com/ Works a treat for me!

Matt
Chaparazzi
Regular

Amazing take, spot on, just perfect....right....one more time.

Postby Oliver21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm

I would treat the extra PC as a stand alone effects unit which would only be integrated to the extent that it was attahed to the send and returns of my consoles auxes so I don't think there would be a digital connection to be made...

That software seems a bit overspecced for what I need. It's jsut something to house the pluggins- are there no free ones?
Oliver21
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Oliver21!

It may be rather elderly now, but my SOS August 2005 features entitled 'Spreading Your Music Across Networked Computers' may give you some ideas:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug05/articles/pcmusician.htm

I hope it helps anyway!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Oliver21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks Martin! As you can probably gather from my choice of soundcard and interface, I'm not at all averse to elderly things. In fact I am one myself.
Oliver21
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 am

Glad it helped - I must say that I personally prefer to keep my studio as quiet as possible, so one computer is quite sufficient

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Tombot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 am

Plus one for vienna ensemble pro.

I've got two other computers (one pc, one mac) on my gigabit LAN and it works well to send fx off to the remote machines and back, as well as runnning instruments on the other computers. All of the midi and audio is taken care of without the need for audio interfaces on every machine. As the other machines are not in the same room, no increase in local noise levels.
Tombot
Regular

Postby Skerrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 am

can you use re-wire across multiple pc's with like an ethernet cord or something similar? :s
Skerrick
Regular

Postby Reiknir » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm sure someone will come along and explain the technicalities (Cubase itself has a way of linking another PC by utilising a digital connection between the two), but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

It's surprisingly easy, the slave computer has to have a digital input which makes the card on the slave sync the DAC to the one on the Master which is the real magic trick and is what enables zero latency synchronization, and the slave has to either have a copy of Cubase or the optional systemlink software if you want to just use the slave as a VST/VSTi host.

Works like a charm
Reiknir
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

Skerrick wrote:can you use re-wire across multiple pc's with like an ethernet cord or something similar? :s

Not using Rewire itself but Vienna Ensemble mentioned above does the same job over a cable.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Reiknir wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm sure someone will come along and explain the technicalities (Cubase itself has a way of linking another PC by utilising a digital connection between the two), but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth.

It's surprisingly easy, the slave computer has to have a digital input which makes the card on the slave sync the DAC to the one on the Master which is the real magic trick and is what enables zero latency synchronization, and the slave has to either have a copy of Cubase or the optional systemlink software if you want to just use the slave as a VST/VSTi host.

Works like a charm

Except that a charm is magic, and therefore dependent on quite a few factors out of your control

From my recollection System Link does work well with Steinberg audio interfaces, but can fall over with others because it relies on using several bits of the digital signal, and the contents of these may depend on how the driver has been written.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Goddard » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 am

Back when I was using Cubendo, V-stack worked fairly well with the Steinberg/ESI VSL2020 PCI cards but those cards were orphaned long ago (a shame, great ADAT cards) so dunno about current support. But VEP does the job very nicely now though.

Btw, a quite decent basic VST host application I've not seen mentioned which can run in Win x64 is "VSTHost":

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Reiknir » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Reiknir wrote:

Works like a charm

Except that a charm is magic, and therefore dependent on quite a few factors out of your control

From my recollection System Link does work well with Steinberg audio interfaces, but can fall over with others because it relies on using several bits of the digital signal, and the contents of these may depend on how the driver has been written.

Martin

YMMV of course, I am not sure how the experience was when Steinberg released it originally around 2000, but I have been using it since 2009, do not own a single Steinberg card and have not had any problems, cards used have been a mixture of ESI and EMU multichannel interfaces and cheap VIA based sound-cards from Terratec and Philips.
Reiknir
Regular