You are here

Curious Cubase 7 issue

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Curious Cubase 7 issue

Postby spumph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi all, been a while!

I finally got around to upgrading to C7 this week, along with the 7.01 update, but there seems to be a problem.

Cubase opens as far as the new Hub, but closes immediately as soon as I select a project, or try to open my project (choose other) folder.

It will open and run (completely stable) any project directly from my project folder, just closes from Hub.

Any ideas? Anyone else experienced this? Or any idea as to how I might determine what's going on?

All suggestions welcome

Simon
spumph
Poster
No dog should ever be seen at the dining-room table.... unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the conversation.

Re: Curious Cubase 7 issue

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 pm

8 times out of 10 this kind of thing is a plug-in problem - especially if you're using the 64-bit version?

First, try re-naming the 'VSTPlugins' folder, just to see if you can load the project (you'll get lots of errors about missing plug-ins, but bear with it). If the project loads OK then you can now create a new plug-in folder with the correct name and begin moving the plug-ins into the new folder. You can do it one at a time, or use a binary-chop method, but eventually you should be able to get it down to the plug (or maybe more than one plug) that's causing the trouble.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby spumph » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks Elf,

I am using the 64 bit version so will try it. Just to clarify, are you suggesting I rename my VSTPlugins folder to something else (I was thinking of Mabel) in order to prevent C7 from finding it?
Also, are you referring to the VST folder in the Steinberg Folder or the one in the C7 Folder (I never really understood why both are necessary?)

Thanks again
spumph
Poster
No dog should ever be seen at the dining-room table.... unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the conversation.

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 pm

spumph wrote:are you suggesting I rename my VSTPlugins folder to something else (I was thinking of Mabel) in order to prevent C7 from finding it?
Yes.

spumph wrote:Also, are you referring to the VST folder in the Steinberg Folder or the one in the C7 Folder (I never really understood why both are necessary?)
Yes. Leave the one in C7's own folder alone.

I share your frustration. Many plug-in installations also have an annoying habit of creating a C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins folder too, which should be made illegal!

Check which folders Cubase is looking at for its plugs - there may be ones you're not aware of!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby tex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Uninstall Cubase. Make sure there's no VST folders or Cubase preference files and uninstall all 3rd party VST cack. Reinstall Cubase. Does it work? Yes? If so reinstall all the cack and see which one trips Cubase up.
I really don't know how you get your systems in such a state. If I could only work it out I'd make a fortune.
tex
Regular

Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:35 pm

If projects open ok NOT via the Hub, are we chasing the right problem?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.