You are here

Backup stopped working on Cubase 6.5!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Backup stopped working on Cubase 6.5!

Postby VOLOVIA » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 pm

it's driving me potty: nothing changed, as always, making my merry recordings, lots of different wave/aiff files in the project. Time to backup to make the project smaller, as always, but the message now appears almost immediately "error". Never seen this before and the same happens on two different songs...

A pain... ideas?
VOLOVIA
Regular

VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER

Songwriter/guitarist

Re: Backup stopped working on Cubase 6.5!

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:30 am

Are you backing up to a new folder? Do you have any unresolved files? Not had this with 6.5 but had one project on 6.0 which would only back up to an external drive. I copied it back in & it was fine. Never figured out the reason though.

Always suspected mine was a corrupted file, but unless any files are shared between the 2 songs, it's unlikely in your case.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Postby VOLOVIA » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am

Hi, thanks... I have tried to back up on both an external and internal drive. The songs play perfectly; still, as it very often happens, the 'empty folder' for unused audio files, throws out a 'can't do it' ...

This is now happening on three tracks and I can't figure it out, really. One 'peculiarity' of these projects is that they access both wave and aiff 24 bit files, but again, they play perfectly well and never crash... hmmmm....
VOLOVIA
Regular

Songwriter/guitarist

Postby tex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Defragment and check your disks for errors. These problems are almost always systems related.

I'd google check on the exact wording of the error to see where it comes from. It could be Cubase, Windows or from the programming language (or package used to program Cubase) which, last time I looked was C++, which might give you a clue as to what is causing this.

A quick idea: How full is your C drive? I did notice that Cubase chucks all the backups there and it gets full mighty quickly.
From Cubase6 run the Project assistant and, if you have a spare drive or partition, direct the backup/save files somewhere else.
tex
Regular

Success is round the corner. It's also round the bend.

Postby VOLOVIA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:40 am

Spent more time on investigating this problem and it seems that the problem lies with the location of the audio files as inferred from the pool.
There seems to be wave/aiff files, which are otherwise playing fine, indicated as 'located' in a missing folder (maybe it was there and I erased by mistake, I don't know). Common sense would dictated the samples simply not to work, but they still do, mercifully....

So, when backing up the project, Cubase freaks out... (no clean up tracks or emptying folders helps). I am now spending lots of time just bouncing the 'offending' track and erasing them afterwards from the pool. The only solution. Not very elegant!

Still, bepuzzled...
VOLOVIA
Regular

Songwriter/guitarist