You are here

File Permissions in Windows

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

File Permissions in Windows

Postby Elephone » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello. As I'm the only human to ever use my PC, I have absolutely no need for permissions restrictions on my files. I'm specifically talking about my own working files not application data.

So, is there any reason why shouldn't remove all such restrictions and gain full control using the following Microsoft fix on the drives/partitions containing only my music projects and audio files?...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-s...

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: File Permissions in Windows

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:46 pm

No reason not to do it and shouldn't be any harm having a go. As the sole admin account you should have permissions for them all already.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

Many of my files did not have 'full control' given to all users. I still don't understand why there are so many users like:

USER-JimALPC (me)

Administrator

Trusted Users

CREATOR

...and one or two others.

Now I've given permissions to 'USER-JimalPC', 'Administrator', and 'Trusted Users' to all disks and folders, when I opened a file in Soundforge, the computer asked if I want to allow Soundforge to 'make changes' to my computer.

I clicked the link to the The User Account Control where an permission options slider appeared:

'Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer'

...the lowest one turns this off but is not 'recommended'.

Do other people give permission every time a program opens?

The best thing would be if Microsoft's install program (optionally) asked new users to tick boxes next to what they needed from the PC, how many users will there be, etc.

This could also be revised if the computer is given away or more users are added.

Not that difficult.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby WaveOnWave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:31 pm

everything you do under your own account name will give sufficient rights to files you work on.
could you be more specific on which problems you encounter.
WaveOnWave
Poster

Postby Scramble » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:21 pm

I had problems with permissions in W7 initially, for some reason I couldn't access a lot of the files in ther Users section. So I installed some registry hack that someone had written called 'Take Ownership' which gave me control (even this was a faff, as it would sometimes take ages to change all the permissions in some of these folders, but it eventually solved all the problems).
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby Magic Matt » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Elephone wrote:...when I opened a file in Soundforge, the computer asked if I want to allow Soundforge to 'make changes' to my computer.

This is because it is set to run as Administrator. That's an ugly work-around for when software isn't written to be fully compliant with Windows. Some programes, particularly those with ropey copy-protection systems, need write-permission in their own program folder, which is only possible when run as administrator.

The added level of security is there to protect your PC. Turning it off as you are doing is just compromising the security of your system. I wouldn't have done that personally.
Magic Matt
Regular

Postby Elephone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Magic Matt wrote:The added level of security is there to protect your PC. Turning it off as you are doing is just compromising the security of your system. I wouldn't have done that personally.

It's not connected to the internet and no one else uses my (password protected) PC at all.
Elephone
Frequent Poster