You are here

P2P Syncing Software?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

P2P Syncing Software?

Postby Will_m » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Hi all, for the last few years I've been using Windows Live Mesh to sync my audio projects across my computers but sadly Microsoft have decided to end this service this week and replace it with Skydrive, which currently has much less functionality and is solely cloud based.

Just wondering if anyone had an experiences with an other P2P sync software? I've been looking at aerofs but its still in private beta. Also checked out Cubby which is paid and I just missed the intro price, this has cloud and P2P functionality though which is nice.
Will_m
Regular

Re: P2P Syncing Software?

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Dropbox all the way for me.

Doesn't Cubby have a free option? I'm certainly using it free...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Will_m » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I do use dropbox for cloud based syncing/storage with clients but the feature I'm looking for is the localized file syncing that allows you to sync unlimited data across computers without the cloud.

I currently have about 300GB which live mesh is syncing for me but I couldn't do this with dropbox, I can with the paid for version of Cubby but I'm looking for a free alternative ideally to replace live mesh.
Will_m
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Will_m wrote:the feature I'm looking for is the localized file syncing that allows you to sync unlimited data across computers without the cloud.

Ah, OK. Gotcha. Some sync services do offer a local network 'short-cut' (including Dropbox), but they are all, as you say, cloud-based.

I know of one small office setup that uses GoodSync - who I recall offering a freebie of their version-minus-1 software. They seem happy with it, but I have no personal experience, so can't offer it as a recommendation.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Magic Matt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Not the easiest solution to setup by any means, but SVN works well for me.
http://subversion.apache.org/
I use it mostly for programming, but it works just as well for the audio stuff and video stuff. The only downside is my NAS is a bit slow, so it can take a while to sync large files.
Magic Matt
Regular

Postby Will_m » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks guys I did check both of those out but I didn't really like Goodsync and SVN is a bit too complicated for me. I'm still holding out for AeroFS, this looks great but still in beta. Such a shame that Mesh is now defunct it really was a great little program.
Will_m
Regular

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg