You are here

A specific VST plugin for auditioning and banking ideas

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

A specific VST plugin for auditioning and banking ideas

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi guys I'm looking for a type of plugin or program that will help me save certain snippets of ideas for instance recall.

For instance if I create many midi riffs within a track on my DAW I would like to have them all ready at a certain part of a track rather than have to drag and drop from other time positions. It would help my creative flow work faster.

I know, in cubase, that you can import objects, but I would like to hear a certain wav file or midi file within context of the part I am creating.

Hope you understand what I'm saying

Thanks
Anonymous

Re: A specific VST plugin for auditioning and banking ideas

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 pm

It sounds a bit specific to your needs, and I'll admit I'm not sure I do really understand what you're asking for TBH, but the answer may involve a combination of Cubase's audio pre-record, MIDI retrospective recording and/or MediaBay Preview.

It would be worth reading up on those and see if anything there helps.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Music Manic wrote:For instance if I create many midi riffs within a track on my DAW I would like to have them all ready at a certain part of a track rather than have to drag and drop from other time positions. It would help my creative flow work faster.

No, look, you need to just write one riff, and put it in the right place. It's called "composing" as opposed to "aimless noodling". ;)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Music Manic wrote:For instance if I create many midi riffs within a track on my DAW I would like to have them all ready at a certain part of a track rather than have to drag and drop from other time positions. It would help my creative flow work faster.
No, look, you need to just write one riff, and put it in the right place. It's called "composing" as opposed to "aimless noodling". ;)

Er! no! It's called arranging and having a library to choose from.

Postby chris... » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 pm

Like Elf, I'm not 100% sure I understand what's wanted...

Suspect a VST plugin (which processes or generates audio) won't be the answer.

If not familiar, might just be worth checking out the workflow in Ableton, where you might have a load of "clips", which you can trigger whenever.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:12 pm

chris... wrote:Like Elf, I'm not 100% sure I understand what's wanted...

Suspect a VST plugin (which processes or generates audio) won't be the answer.

If not familiar, might just be worth checking out the workflow in Ableton, where you might have a load of "clips", which you can trigger whenever.

Ok thanks Chris, I'll take a look at it.

Sometimes I create a different riff/motif for different parts of a track and I want them "on the fly" to see which sounds best instead of having to drag and drop to create a different "parts"
Kind of like loop recording where you can mute the bad parts of a take take and keep the sections you like until you are satisfied.
The thing is I would like to select all the parts I want, whether MIDI or audio and be able to label them to have them ready.

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Ableton Live sounds like it might be what you want, but any DAW can do this, you just create extra tracks or in Cubase it has one MIDI track with multiple takes which you can mute.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 am

Protools (8 or beyond I think) lets you audition wav files into the mix with one click.

I use that all the time. It adjusts the tempo automatically. Very cool.

You don't need to drag and drop. Just click on the 'region' and it will audition it into the mix in tempo. You need to get a few things set up right to do this, but it is very powerful.

I like it especially for auditioning percussion for some polyrythm layers.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 am

Ye DC-Choppah that was the type of thing I was looking for but protools is the DAW I've least used in my life.

At least I know it's out there.

Thanks

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:26 am

Cubase's MediaBay preview does just the same. I've never used it, because I have no interest in loop-based composition, but I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials out on Youtube and the like.

Edit: In fact THIS VIDEO (skip the first 60, seconds!) and THIS VIDEO (if you can get past the sodding annoying 'backgound' music that pollutes it!) seem to cover some of the basics.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Ah! Thanks Elf I'll give that a go thanks.

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:18 am

I use Media Bay in just that manner, it is handy in so much you can filter either just MIDI or Audio loops etc, what I do find confusing is it seems inconsistent, sometimes the snippets play on selection, so you can audition them, and sometimes they don't, I actually have to drop them into a track before I can audition them. All Media Bay is though, is a file browser, specific to media
OneWorld
Frequent Poster