You are here

Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 pm

I keep my PC off the internet, except when I occasionally enable the NIC to activate software and install Windows updates, yet all of a sudden 'Bonjour Printer Wizrd' has appeared, I have no idea what it is, I don't even have a printer.

When looking at Control Panel/Programs and Features it says it comes from Apple INC, how did an Apple Program get installed on my PC when I have never even been anywhere near Apple and don't want to either - I once made the mistake of installed Apple Quicktime - OMG what a load garbage, and seeing as I don't have a printer installed, why does Apple think I need their cr*p?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm

iTunes?
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Manchester, UK

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.


Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm

It's a world-wide epidemic.

You install a simple piece of software to do a simple task and it comes with media managers, toolbars, 'helpers' (whatever they are), photo editors, an installation of Google Chrome, an attempt to reset your home page, a load of 'trial' software, hi-jacks all your audio file extensions to point to its own player... at each stage of its installation trying to trap the unwary to hit 'Next' without checking what they agreeing to.

Take a look at what is in your start-up list (CCleaner is a good utility for this). You may be surprised at what nonsense gets in there. If you know what you're doing CCleaner will let you disable the stuff.

Gradually I am finding alternatives for any software that does the above. Of course it's not always possible, but if everyone tried to do the same...
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9975
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.


Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby 3TAAL » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 pm

I have a printer connected directly to my imac and have used bonjour to print wirelessly from another pc via the imac.

Regards
Pat
3TAAL
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:00 pm

 


Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am

OW - The are a couple of other sources it may have come from. Have a glance down this thread for some more info on it : http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/to ... r-service/
User avatar
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:00 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 am

Pete Kaine wrote:OW - The are a couple of other sources it may have come from. Have a glance down this thread for some more info on it : http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/98565-apple-bonjour-service/

Thanks, I think it came with either Nocturn's Automap service or IK Multimedia Custom Shop, and on another thread, there's me trumpeting my delight with my IK Multimedia purchase
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am

The Elf wrote:It's a world-wide epidemic.

You install a simple piece of software to do a simple task and it comes with media managers, toolbars, 'helpers' (whatever they are), photo editors, an installation of Google Chrome, an attempt to reset your home page, a load of 'trial' software, hi-jacks all your audio file extensions to point to its own player... at each stage of its installation trying to trap the unwary to hit 'Next' without checking what they agreeing to.

Take a look at what is in your start-up list (CCleaner is a good utility for this). You may be surprised at what nonsense gets in there. If you know what you're doing CCleaner will let you disable the stuff.

Gradually I am finding alternatives for any software that does the above. Of course it's not always possible, but if everyone tried to do the same...


Thanks, tell me about it, even non-freeware dumps all kinds of crud on the computer, I usually manage to swerve by it, but this one got through. I did uninstall it by way of Ccleaner, but I looked through the registry and there were entries relating to Bonjour (I'd prefer Adios) all over the place. I think it came from either Novation's Automap or IK Multimedia Custom Shop/T-Racks
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 am

It is Novaton's Automap, I suppse it uses Bonjour to run the Automap 'server' darn it, if I had known the software dumps crud on the PC I wouldn't have bought the Novation controller :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby InactiveX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:05 pm

I was pretty dismayed when I found out the Novation software used Bonjour (what a stupid name).

I never found the AutoMap software to be that practical anyway, so I removed it all.
User avatar
InactiveX
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: England

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm

InactiveX wrote:I was pretty dismayed when I found out the Novation software used Bonjour (what a stupid name).

I never found the AutoMap software to be that practical anyway, so I removed it all.


After my Behringer BCR2000 packed in, and after reading what a magical thing Automap was. I bought the Zero SL2 controller, and was amazed with how it could swap from one control setup to another. That was a case of premature jubilation.

So I thought I would re-work some of my older Cubase projects only to find they wouldn't work, my Kontakt 5 settings were all lost, because it now shows as Kontakt(Automap), there were a couple of soft-synths, Z3TA+2 for example, that were listed as both Z3TA+2 and Z3TA+2(Automap) so at least I had the choice to reload the non-Automap synth, but for the main part all was lost.

That and the Bonjour, which apparently is harmless except that it is more cr*p the PC doesn't need and looking on the internet, it appears Bonjours opens wide all sorts of ports that could make the PC vulnerable - I turn my PC NIC off except for downloads/updates/activations etc, but I don't like the idea of ports being wide open because Bonjour wants to faff about. So Automap has now been taken off and the controller has gone on eBay, so that's another £50 hit I'll be taking, considering what I bought it for and what I can sell it for +eBay commission etc.

I do think reviewers of equipment/software etc should give us the full picture in their reviews, I was completely sold on the Zero SL after reading the review, had I known then what I know now I would have gone on eBay and replaced my BCR2000 with another for £50'ish, even if it only lasted a year, then I could stand the loss.

I also have an old Evolution MK-425c which also worked fine but I could never find out how to make the 8 rotary controllers switch roles, eg, on my Z3TA+2, I can map the filter controllers to the 8 rotaries, but then would also like to re-assign them to envelope controllers by doing whatever needs to be done, as I could on the BCR2000.

So in other words, for each synth I control, I only have the 8 rotary controls available. I could call up another program in the MK-425c and control the envelopes, but would lose the filter controls. I could do this quite easily in the Zero SL2 by switching 'pages', in the MK-425c I cannot find out how to do it.

Anyone suggest a decent contoller?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:26 pm

OneWorld wrote:Anyone suggest a decent contoller?

I have three 'controllers':

Frontier Alphatrack. This is my transport controller, fine control fader and automation writer.
Behringer BCF2000. This is 'fistful of faders'. I rarely use this.
Roland JP-8080. This is my VSTi editor. I have one specific patch just for synth control and I set the translations so the basic controls always line up (filter cut-off/resonance, envelope controls, etc).

Dunno if anything there takes your fancy.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9975
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.


Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:34 pm

The Elf wrote:
OneWorld wrote:Anyone suggest a decent contoller?
I have three 'controllers':

Frontier Alphatrack. This is my transport controller, fine control fader and automation writer.
Behringer BCF2000. This is 'fistful of faders'. I rarely use this.
Roland JP-8080. This is my VSTi editor. I have one specific patch just for synth control and I set the translations so the basic controls always line up (filter cut-off/resonance, envelope controls, etc).

Dunno if anything there takes your fancy.

Thanks, for transport I'm OK, I bought a PC Remote off eBay and I have managed to assign common Cubase controls to it - record (*) loop (/) play, return etc

The BCR2000 I liked because of all the rotarys which I assigned to the rotary controls on my softsynths, so it is sort of some controller that would do that, which is what the Automap does, but messes up other things
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby Johnsy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 pm

'Bonjour' is Apple's implementation of Zeroconf (zero configuration networking), and something of an industry standard, being available not only for OSX and Windows, but also for BSD/POSIX-based OS's such as Linux. Without it (or an equivalent - which doesn't really exist), a DHCP/DNS or manual network configuration is required, neither of which is an attractive prospect to most users.

As we move toward a networked audio paradigm, Bonjour is likely to be showing up on more and more DAW PC's. Audinate's Dante, for example - licenced by the likes of Yamaha, Focusrite and Presonus - won't work without it.
Johnsy
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 am

The Elf wrote:It's a world-wide epidemic.

NVidia automatic update surreptitiously installed 3D vision a couple of months back for a bog standard GeForce 8400 GS. Took me hours to undo the damage, resetting multiple monitor resolutions, colour balance etc.

My worst experience was when my son innocently installed Sony OMG software for a minidisc which helpfully added copyright protection to all my tracks!

I log into network PC's at work which have so many toolbars & BHO's the IE window looks like a letter box. Yet if a website wants to install a cookie...
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:00 am

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.


Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Johnsy wrote:'Bonjour' is Apple's implementation of Zeroconf (zero configuration networking), and something of an industry standard, being available not only for OSX and Windows, but also for BSD/POSIX-based OS's such as Linux. Without it (or an equivalent - which doesn't really exist), a DHCP/DNS or manual network configuration is required, neither of which is an attractive prospect to most users.

As we move toward a networked audio paradigm, Bonjour is likely to be showing up on more and more DAW PC's. Audinate's Dante, for example - licenced by the likes of Yamaha, Focusrite and Presonus - won't work without it.

I'll concentrate onn making music instead of jizzing about with this computer nonsense - it's getting to the point where the tail's wagging the dog
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Bonjour Printer Wizard??????

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:
The Elf wrote:It's a world-wide epidemic.


NVidia automatic update surreptitiously installed 3D vision a couple of months back for a bog standard GeForce 8400 GS. Took me hours to undo the damage, resetting multiple monitor resolutions, colour balance etc.

My worst experience was when my son innocently installed Sony OMG software for a minidisc which helpfully added copyright protection to all my tracks!

I log into network PC's at work which have so many toolbars & BHO's the IE window looks like a letter box. Yet if a website wants to install a cookie...


You've actually dropped onto another point here and pointed me to the fix for another problem - yes I have a good NVidia Card, I'm not in need of 3D and all of a sudden this 3D flotsam and jetsom dumped on my PC, and as you experienced, dual monitor setup trashed, resolutions gone up the swanee and I don't care what they say - the actual display is inferior, it's taking me longer to get my PC running all mean and clean than it is to learn to play Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues, there's gotta be a severe case of incorrect priorities there.

In fact thinking about it, before I moved from XP to Win7, I only ever went on the internet to activate software I had bought, or update existing software, and inthe latter case would 99% of the time download an update to my ragamuffin PC, run a virus check and then transfer to my music PC.

I only went as far as SP3 and after that never did any driver updates etc, just music software updates, and come to think of it, the computer never seemed to suffer for it, it ran reliably, quickly. When I installed Win7, there seemed to be a tsunami of updates/patches/fixes etc, no of which seemed to have any noticable positive impact, but there has been negative impact. Most if not all of the WIn7 updates/patches seem to be concerned with internet issues anyway
OneWorld
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:00 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests