You are here

Sager / Clevo notebooks - any users?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Sager / Clevo notebooks - any users?

Postby darrylonguitar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Anybody ever use a Clevo-based notebook computer? I'm thinking of getting a Sager NP2240 / Clevo W240EUQ or a Sager NP6110 / Clevo W110ER with an i7-3630QM processor. I'm mostly concerned with fan noise because I would like to use this for some mobile recording in addition to a software synth station.

I'll probably go with the 14" because it would allow for installation of both an SSD and a HDD. I'd probably end up lugging around an external drive with the 11".
darrylonguitar
Poster

Re: Sager / Clevo notebooks - any users?

Postby robinv » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 am

In terms of laptop noise with a quad core i7 processor the fans will be spinning once you run a few plugins and you can't really do anything about keeping a laptop quiet - but some are better than others - the fans do tend to be on or off. I've noticed that with i3 and i5 processors even at full whack the fans rarely come on - if silence is the most important factor then getting a less powerful CPU might be helpful.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Molten Music Technology - Computers for doing music on

Making Music on the Microsoft Surface

Postby darrylonguitar » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Yes, I think this is probably good advice. Something in the i5-3200 range should perform about as capably as my current desktop computer. It's hard to hold off the highest powered processor when offered as an option, even when that's not the best choice!
darrylonguitar
Poster

Postby Shambolic Charm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am

I have some recall of Clevo being the Generic base that the pro audio laptops are made from.
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:15 pm

That may have been true some years ago (I've certainly reviewed a couple of Clevo-based laptops for SOS over the years), but I don't think it holds quite so true today.

Martin
Martin Walker