You are here

Serious PC help needed!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Serious PC help needed!

Postby J_Naylor4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Wondering if anyone could give me some serious help with my PC that keeps crashing? I use Pro Tools (8.0.5) and basically whenever I'm playing a project with more than a few virtual instruments using samples, at some point the whole system will just freeze completely, won't respond to any commands and everything on the screen will be frozen. If any audio is playing at the time it just stutters and loops that millisecond at full volume on a loop (nasty)!

I have activity monitor open and it's never using more than 2Gb of memory at the time and CPU is very low, so I am thoroughly confused!

Any help would be massively appreciated as I'm in the middle of a reasonably large project and it's getting infuriating! Put the full PC spec at the bottom.

Many thanks!!
J

Full PC Spec:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5 3450
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP
Hard Drive 1: Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD MZ-7PC256B/WW
Hard Drive 2: 500Gb Seagate ST3500630AS Barracuda
Hard Drive 3: 1Tb Samsung
Graphics Card: Asus EAX1600
DVD: Plextor PX-810SA
PSU: Seasonic S-12 430W PSU
Soundcard: Digi 002R
J_Naylor4
Poster

Re: Serious PC help needed!

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Do the basics. Memory tests, driver updates (including motherboard). Try eliminating plugins, one at a time, to see if you can narrow it down. What you are looking at is basic PC detective work. Once you've got your system in tip-top shape, use a process of elimination to figure out where your problem is.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin

Postby cgreivsy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 pm

Richard Graham wrote:Do the basics. Memory tests, driver updates (including motherboard). Try eliminating plugins, one at a time, to see if you can narrow it down. What you are looking at is basic PC detective work. Once you've got your system in tip-top shape, use a process of elimination to figure out where your problem is.

Agreed, and something a friend pointed me towards which was testing USB...as i was running my soundcard USB and getting these same probs with little system resouces being used.
that's a good system, so if you want to not spend too much time on detective work it's a toss up whether you take an image of your installation drive & reinstall the OS. check google for this, techsupportalert has a good article on it. it's a time gamble, you may find the prob quickly (hope you do) but you may find in hindsight that doing a reinstall has saved time. happy hunting
cgreivsy

Postby J_Naylor4 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks very much for the responses guys. Done a memory test, everything was fine. The issue seems to arise when I have more than three instances of Vienna Symphonic Library open. So I'm currently thinking there's either an issue with that or the firewire connection to my soundcard.
J_Naylor4
Poster