You are here

Cockos Reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cockos Reaper

Postby GRAHAM99 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Downloaded trial version.Seems very good!! Now thinking that I could get new pc, install Echo Layla 3G and buy Reaper.Big saving over Cubase or Pro Tools.Is there any catch?
GRAHAM99
Poster

Re: Cockos Reaper

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:26 am

No catch, reaper is great. If it suits your workflow then there is no reason not to use it.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby A. AuCr » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am

Catch: It comes with one softsynth and no sample library.

If that's not a problem (and it shouldn't be), then yes, it's a fantastic value. Just the native plugins are well worth the price of the entire thing.
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm

A. AuCr wrote:Just the native plugins are well worth the price of the entire thing.

I entirely agree with this

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby ScudS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 am

None that I have found. I do get disappointed when SOS doesn't have a Reaper column every month as I find them great reads...hint hint SOS
ScudS
New here

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 am

Despite having most other DAWs, I couldn't live without Reaper.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Reaper is my main DAW too.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby tim_obrien » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm

A. AuCr wrote:Catch: It comes with one softsynth and no sample library.

Not really. It runs any vst plugin and you can add any sampler you want (not what they give you).

I would rather pay $60 for a daw and outfit it myself than pay $500 and then still have to find useable synths/samples that don't sound like everyone else out there....
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I've been using and exploring Reaper for some tasks lately as an alternative platform and I've been quite impressed with it, particularly in terms of straight audio editing and conventional multitracking...

The relatively low cost and high utility means it's probably worth most DAW users having it in their toolkit - not necessarily permanently switching from their main DAW of choice, but as an alternative toolset and workflow. For me, it actually fits in quite nicely between Logic, Live and wave editors for given tasks.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Aug 86
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Kev Adams » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:44 pm

I moved across from Cubase to Reaper a while back. Absolutely no regrets- just a deep feeling of contentment.
Kev Adams
Regular

Retired, hurt Bandcamp

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm

I use Reaper for location recordings, though I return to Cubase for serious editing and processing. I don't find Reaper at all friendly in many ways, but I have no complaints for what it represents. There's absolutely no catch at all for the price.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby A. AuCr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 pm

ScudS wrote:None that I have found. I do get disappointed when SOS doesn't have a Reaper column every month as I find them great reads...hint hint SOS

Image A. Aucr likes this post...
A. AuCr
Regular

Postby onesecondglance » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:50 pm

The Elf wrote:I use Reaper for location recordings, though I return to Cubase for serious editing and processing. I don't find Reaper at all friendly in many ways, but I have no complaints for what it represents. There's absolutely no catch at all for the price.

Same here. I tried Reaper for a while, and I liked it - but I am very used to the way Cubase does things and my workflow was faster sticking with what I knew. It's still my first recommendation for anyone who asks about DAWs.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby th.v. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 pm

+1 with pro tools
th.v.
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:44 am

GRAHAM99 wrote:Downloaded trial version.Seems very good!! Now thinking that I could get new pc, install Echo Layla 3G and buy Reaper.Big saving over Cubase or Pro Tools.Is there any catch?

No catch, as long as you have a full understanding of what Reaper offers and what Cubase does. I wouldn't recommend buying into ProTools at present. Wait for Avid to go bust then see what happens.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am

tim_obrien wrote:I would rather pay $60 for a daw and outfit it myself than pay 00 and then still have to find useable synths/samples that don't sound like everyone else out there....

Yep, I'd go along with that as well

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Goddard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 am

Martin, what do you recommend for playing the SOSOS sample library in Reaper?

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15976

Hey, it's almost April!
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Kev Adams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 am

The Elf wrote:I use Reaper for location recordings, though I return to Cubase for serious editing and processing. I don't find Reaper at all friendly in many ways, but I have no complaints for what it represents. There's absolutely no catch at all for the price.

If I have to go back to Cubase now I find I've 'lost all my chops'. It took a while to get used to Reaper's little quirks, (as with any software) especially with comping, but now I'm up to speed - and still learning all the time. Don't you just love those 'aha! so that's how to do that' moments?

So add me to the list of disappointed readers when there isn't a Reaper column.
Kev Adams
Regular

Retired, hurt Bandcamp

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:I wouldn't recommend buying into ProTools at present. Wait for Avid to go bust then see what happens.

You shouldn't have to wait long - there are now five class-action lawsuits against Avid on behalf of shareholders for insider trading and making misleading financial statements and the NASDAQ has threatened it with de-listing if it cannot deliver a set of accounts for 2012 by May.

Nobody is waiting in the wings to buy the company. Who wants a company that has written losses for quarter of a Century, sports 42 prestige offices around the World and has more managers than engineers?

Sony has problems enough without taking on such a poisoned chalice, Yamaha and Harman would only be interested in ProTools and perhaps some of the other audio stuff, but at fire-sale prices. Adobe and Apple would like to pick up ProTools and perhaps Media Composer, but again, as both are already in that market, strictly at rock-bottom prices.

Everybody else is just too small to swallow Avid, so the pro users can only hope that Avid files for bankruptcy and the bits get sold off to companies that will continue the platforms, but in a more responsible manner.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

No need to over-read the immediate situation. Late accounts and the routine 'warning' are not unusual. The class-action threats are just legal vultures. It's what happens NEXT that
will be interesting :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby tim_obrien » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Goddard wrote:Martin, what do you recommend for playing the SOSOS sample library in Reaper?

The free Shortcircuit v1.1.2 sampler (v2 is unfinished and abandoned)
http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Works great and is dead easy to use but powerful.

(Really wish vember would let someone take over the project and port it over to OSX, I miss it since I switched platforms.)
tim_obrien
Regular

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 pm

I do seem to have problems with its workflow and the way it does things but I did also have those issues with more expensive apps, like Logic. If you like the workflow, it should work great for you.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby mjfe2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:24 am

I dabbled in Cubase 2 years ago, then tried Harrison Mixbus for a complete change but it was too unreliable on a Mac. Anyway I now use Reaper as my only DAW and haven't looked back since. There are loads of neat features like one track for mono/stereo/midi/send, customisable hot keys etc.
mjfe2
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:No need to over-read the immediate situation. Late accounts and the routine 'warning' are not unusual. The class-action threats are just legal vultures. It's what happens NEXT that will be interesting :-)

True, but it sure ain't usual! Next? More decline, probably. What else can there be? Service and storage management is the part of the business that is under scrutiny and was always profitable. Now it seems that profit may have been fictitious! The only other cash cow was ProTools and that is being squeezed between Reaper and CuBase, with PT coming in second in the DAW MI market behind CuBase and it set to fall behind Reaper in user-base numbers.

With the launch of UA's Apollo, professionals are now realising that there is a life without mix-farm cards and similar products to the Apollo are set to launch all over the place, from dozens of other manufacturers.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:27 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:The only other cash cow was ProTools

I would have thought that Symphony/Media Composer probably brings in more revenue than ProTools..?
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: E&MM Aug 86
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:33 pm

tim_obrien wrote:
Goddard wrote:Martin, what do you recommend for playing the SOSOS sample library in Reaper?

The free Shortcircuit v1.1.2 sampler (v2 is unfinished and abandoned)
http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Works great and is dead easy to use but powerful.

(Really wish vember would let someone take over the project and port it over to OSX, I miss it since I switched platforms.)

I liked this software too and was almost at the point of selling my Akai z8, but it is a shame he never continued with development as that interface is butt ugly. Nonetheless, it works and it's free, not as if I could ask for my money back!

As for Reaper, I still don't get it, what's all the fuss about? There again, I am more of a Midioid as opposed to working with audio most the time. So I find Cubase, even the basic cheapo versions, very easy to implement MIDI tracks. I customised a cheapo PC Remote and made some Macros in Cubase, almost all I need to do can be done with as remote, can control the thing from the other side of the room!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby dbfs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 am

Seems to be a poor choice for a hybrid setup using some external hardware. The reinsert plugin got very bad reputation and I belive that the developers are aware of the shortcomings but are choosing to work on other aspects of the software such as the look and feel rather than this. My guess is that using external hardware is not something that many users are requesting. That said, I does stop me from thniking its up there with cubase and logic. Te argument most people put forward is that everything can be customised. However, i would rather use software that places funtion over form. I dont particularly enjoy the look and feel of presonus studio one, but Its much better for incorporating external hardware than reaper. My feeling is that if there is something large missing from software that you wold require then it does not make sense investing time and effort hoping that it will pay off later.
dbfs
Regular

dbfs

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 pm

desmond wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:The only other cash cow was ProTools

I would have thought that Symphony/Media Composer probably brings in more revenue than ProTools..?

The revenue is almost exactly the same for audio as for video products - but that was before they sold off Pinnacle and M-Audio at fire-sale prices. Both were at c.a. 40% with storage and services at 20%.

Profit however is a very different story. Video has turned into a loss-leader for their storage management division. It now appears that costs for video and services were were not being properly booked, hence the delay in filing.

dbfs wrote:My guess is that using external hardware is not something that many users are requesting.

As for the above post on hybrid boxes with DSP built in, you are guessing completely wrongly. They are selling very well indeed, despite the high prices of some. People are bringing them into our studio all the time and are able to record and edit big projects on their laptops with all the DSP thrown in. There are at least eight such boxes on the market, with many more to follow.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Sibelius19 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 am

Reaper is beginning to be my favorite DAW. I have been learning more and more about its capabilities and it has been increasing the efficiency and proficiency of my work. It can also play Reason, FL studios and Ableton Live through rewire. I actually have not been that impressed with the way Reason sounds, although there are some great features and options. That's for another thread though.
Reaper is great. As far as I can tell you can keep adding and adding effects and instruments under the same track. I've been able to create some pretty wicked sounds this way. The auto-crossfading capability in itself is quite simple yet ingenious. This DAW costs only 60 EUROS?
Sibelius19
Regular

Postby Goddard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 am

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=15976

Hey, it's almost April!

While I do appreciate the suggestions offered wrt sample playing in Reaper, I now confess that my question posed to Martin was not really in earnest.

Anyways, Happy April 1st to all!

=G
(wondering if anyone even followed the link I'd posted)
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Next