You are here

PC upgrade advice - motherboard size

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

PC upgrade advice - motherboard size

Postby Madman_Greg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I am thinking about upgrading one of the PCs at home.

Its a bit old, Pentium 4 3.4GHz. IBM 8124KGB A51 Mini Tower.

The plan is to buy a mobo bundle to give it a new lease of life. Probably spending not more than £150.

Now try as I might I cannot seem to find the mobo size online. I am guessing the best thing to do is to measure and cross reference with say this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Any advice gladly received.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Re: PC upgrade advice - motherboard size

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:19 am

Whilst it doesn't specify your system exactly, one of the few Google hits I got for IBM minitower was this : http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-95/ibm-minitower/111307.html

If that's the case with your case, then your out of luck. Probably getting someone who knows how the inside of a PC should look to give it a once over before you do anything else.

Off the age of it it however your going to need:

A new PSU - the connectors will be wrong, it'll be underpowered and most likely on its last legs.
New drives - you'll have IDE which is no longer supported and they'll also be far past their prime.
GFX - Try and go with onboard as your current AGP/pci solution won't be supported.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks Pete

I was reading about the power supply connectors last night.

The PC does have 2x SATA drives, currently running at UDMA5. So something is reusable

I do understand PCs pretty well, but the most I have done is installed memory and a firewire card.
So not really experienced in the hardware side.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Cool, I wasn't expecting SATA on something of that vintage. I'd still replace the drives personally however, they tend to get rated for something between 3 and 5 years so they are likely have exceeded that by a sizeable chunk at this point unless the machine hasn't been used much over it's lifetime. You could still use them for backups and storage off system, I'd just be nervous having them spin up and down all day!
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Not sure what size mobo it is, but from the diagram at the page linked below it certainly does not appear to be any standard format (even the oddball BTX), so you are probably going to need to get a "standard" case (ATX, mATX) for your new mobo:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD003127

I'm guessing it was IBM's own proprietary layout.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby Madman_Greg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll keep it ticking over until it croaks I think. Its OK for quite a few different sort of things. And I still occasionally use it for recording small scale projects in the room it lives in.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg