You are here

usb 2 or usb 3 PCIe card?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

usb 2 or usb 3 PCIe card?

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:20 am

I have once again buggered one of the usb ports on the front of my main, "office" P4 PC and I cannot be A'ed to source the sockets once again and strip and fix it.

I have a spare PCIe slot and therefore thought of another expansion card but Google threw up mostly usb 3.0 types. Would these be ok on such an old machine (about 7yrs)?

The CPU is Pentium 4/521 3.0G and the MOBO a Dixons RC4107MA-RS2H. I know the PC is ancient but is more than fast enough for internet and other duties including a bit of recording, tho' we have a 2core W7/64 jobbie for "serious" stuff. I do not have any usb 3.0 devices as yet but the day will come! Is there any possible problem with usb 3.0 on an old Ei-Systems PC please?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: usb 2 or usb 3 PCIe card?

Postby Johnsy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am

ef37a wrote:I have once again buggered one of the usb ports on the front of my main, "office" P4 PC

It's brave of you to admit it in public.

Seriously though, providing that drivers are available for your OS (XP?), there's no reason in theory not to install a USB 3.0 card.

Not especially relevant, but I'd never heard of a Dixons-branded motherboard before.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:50 am

Johnsy wrote:
ef37a wrote:I have once again buggered one of the usb ports on the front of my main, "office" P4 PC

It's brave of you to admit it in public.

Seriously though, providing that drivers are available for your OS (XP?), there's no reason in theory not to install a USB 3.0 card.

Not especially relevant, but I'd never heard of a Dixons-branded motherboard before.

Heh! Heh! An unfortunate choice of verb perhaps! Thanks for the info, yes it is XP Home. Speccy told me the make of the MOBO, I think it is actually a Foxconn.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Dave, are the front panel USB sockets linked to a header on the motherboard? Or is there another USB header on the motherboard?

If so you might find one of these ideal.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks Andy but I could have the front PCB out and solder in new sockets again but...
A) can't be bovvered,
B) they are only usb 1.0 and fit these days only for mice and kbds. I want to fit usb 2.0 on the back and bring them outfront on short extensions. Usb 3.0 would be nice since I might buy a sstate drive and the extra juice would be handy?

Dave. Oh and to the hijacking spammer? The guitar amp industry is very male dominated but we do have one lady draughtsperson! Lots of gals in marketing,HR, finance etc. Actually my immediate boss is a woman, non-technical but vastly more computer able than I!
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Johnsy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:27 am

Should probably have added for completeness that the PCIe slots on a board of that vintage are likely to be Gen 1, so your USB 3.0 card will be limited to 250MB/s in each direction.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:15 pm

ef37a wrote:Thanks Andy but I could have the front PCB out and solder in new sockets again but...
A) can't be bovvered,
B) they are only usb 1.0 and fit these days only for mice and kbds. I want to fit usb 2.0 on the back and bring them outfront on short extensions. Usb 3.0 would be nice since I might buy a sstate drive and the extra juice would be handy?

Have you looked at the link Dave?

It's to a rear panel that replaces the blanking plate on an unused PCI slot. It has 4 USB A sockets attached in pairs to connectors that plug straight into the USB headers on your motherboard.

According to Foxconn your motherboard is USB2. And the manual shows you have 2 USB2 headers on the M/B at the edge close to the rear of the PCI slots.

It will do exactly what you want, with no soldering required.

Andy
zenguitar

Largely, but not entirely, dysfunctional.

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Sorry Andy .
Yes I did skim a bit and thought the conns would just plug into the existing 1.0 headers for the front.

I shall be fitting a second soundcard soon (need some info about that as well!) so I shall get the exact model # of the MOBO and check it out.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster