You are here

3 quick Laptop Questions

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

3 quick Laptop Questions

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I've very kindly been offered a new laptop for free! It's a Toshiba satellite with an i3 and Windows 7 64 bit, about a year old but virtually unused. I don't intend to use it for recording as such, but it should be great for transporting stuff around to monitor on Cubase 6.5 in different environments. Nothing serious, just project stuff. However 3 questions spring to mind.

Will I be okay using a cheap Alesis or Behringer interface to give me USB to line out to connect to my hi-fi amp etc? I'm guessing latency won't be an issue here since I'm not recording anything. Also I record at 44.1 & 24 bit but I'm presuming 16 bit converters will be okay for monitoring the output as it will already be dithered.

Will it play audio/midi files directly from a USB stick, or would it be better saved to the hard drive?

Finally does it matter that I'm using Windows 7 32 bit on my main DAW? Can I just install 32 bit Cubase on 64 bit windows. The only non native plug-ins I use are iZotope Ozone & Nectar.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Re: 3 quick Laptop Questions

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 am

You'll be fine on all counts.

Install VLC player to have an easier life - it will play virtually anything.

It's arguable how important an audio interface is for simple messing around. When I'm using my laptop for gaming, or entertainment I just run the headphone output to my hi-fi amp. Obviously, if you aspire to higher things, or want surround capabilities, then an audio interface of some description will be advisable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks, I'm actually quite excited at the prospect now!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

And of course there must be something wrong. In wanting to silence any song.

Postby ef37a » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Ah.....You will probably find the combination of Cubase, W7 and a Behringer UCA 222/202 is not one made in heaven.

I am sure it CAN be made to work but be prepared for some faffing about. I in fact have a works Toshi satellite, bit older than yours perhaps, acursed with Vista Business. That runs a 202 fine but I cannot try Cubase. Samplitude SE8 is ok but then Sam 8 works on anything!

And FYI anybody that needs to know, the KA6 is also fine on Blista!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#