You are here

Monitor Question

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Monitor Question

Postby Russell B » Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 am

Hi everyone, I have a question concerning using a TV as a monitor and if I was to go this way what kind of TV would work.
I am currently using 4 monitors on my setup and recently upgraded my Graphic card to one that has a HDMI output. Is it possible to use a large TV and still have the same resolution that the 4 monitors have or would everything just be one monitor but bigger meaning that I could use the space in the same way I can using 4 monitors.
I hope I explained this right but I can't think of any other way of putting it.

Thanks in advance for any info

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular

Re: Monitor Question

Postby BobThomas67 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Russel,

Until a few months ago I was using a large screen TV as my main monitor. You should be able to use any screen that has an HDMI input, but you'll find everything is just bigger. You're restricted by the maximum resolution of your graphics card, so whether you use a 23" screen or a 105" screen, it will still have the same resolution but be bigger. Also, you don't want to be sitting too close to a big screen for very long. Not good for the eyes at all!

I got a new PC in October and decided to go the multi-monitor route, and I find that using two monitors gives me way more flexibilty than one big screen. If I was in your position then I'd definitely be keeping to the 4 monitors you currently use

Hope this helps

Bob
BobThomas67

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm

The restriction these days is very much on the TV end rather than the card. I can't think any card released in the last two years that can't do 2560 X 1600 (WQXGA) on the desktop (i.e. 2D rendering) which is far higher than the Full HD standard of 1920 X 1080. In fact the HDMI standard won't transfer anything higher than full HD so that would be another bottle neck to consider with WQXGA requiring dual DVI outputs to work.

You find most good 27" - 30" monitors will run at a WQXGA resolution and they will give you more real estate as it were than a 32" HD TV even through the screen itself is physically smaller.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Tombot » Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Russell B wrote:Is it possible to use a large TV and still have the same resolution that the 4 monitors have or would everything just be one monitor but bigger meaning that I could use the space in the same way I can using 4 monitors.

i think what you are after is essentially 4K resolution TV, pretty much 4x 1080p monitors in one. Unfortunatly you need a few grand in your pocket, but are stating to come down in price now http://gizmodo.com/5994765/seiki-50+inch-4k-tv-eyes+on-how-the-hell-is-a-tv-this-beautiful-so-cheap
Tombot
Regular

Postby Russell B » Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks for the info I had a feeling the idea was just too easy, if it was as easy as plugging in a tv with HDMI and having the same as 4 monitors then everyone would be doing it.
I really enjoy working with the space I have on 4 monitors it makes the workflow so much easier when you can see your whole project. I had to work with only 2 monitors for a week and found myself getting a bit frustrated always having to search for different windows that were open but hidden.

Cheers Russell
Russell B
Regular