You are here

noise at cd track markers with reaper

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

noise at cd track markers with reaper

Postby SableTones » Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi...I rendered mix of stereo file and burnt to CD using Reaper. One long recording dropped into Reaper from Tascam DR100mk11 as a stereo file. Editing means i had individual tracks as individual media items...moving them apart to give silence between what i later marked as tracks for the CD. auto cross fade disabled.

When CD played back there is a 'noise' glitch of short duration....(electronic crisps or scratch on vinyl!)

Reaper forum suggests it may be about CDROM sectors being out of sync with my mark points and gave a number 2352.

can anyone advance this or tell me what 2352 may mean and how it may relate to a normal time code i can understand?

or do you think this is the problem?

the burn process was all done by Reaper using the native (? i guess?) programme on the laptop (windows vista home premium)

any advice welcomed.
SableTones
Regular

Re: noise at cd track markers with reaper

Postby SableTones » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 pm

solved problem with image burn software. don't know why...but loads of info included to get into and the magic numbers are there too!
SableTones
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat May 18, 2013 1:02 pm

sabletones wrote:Reaper forum suggests it may be about CDROM sectors being out of sync with my mark points and gave a number 2352.

They told you rightly! 2352 is the size of a sector and there are 75 sectors per second. If you markers are not at the beginning/end of a sector, you get a glitch. Use regular CD-burn SW and this will not happen.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Postby Goddard » Sat May 18, 2013 1:58 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:
sabletones wrote:Reaper forum suggests it may be about CDROM sectors being out of sync with my mark points and gave a number 2352.

They told you rightly! 2352 is the size of a sector and there are 75 sectors per second. If you markers are not at the beginning/end of a sector, you get a glitch. Use regular CD-burn SW and this will not happen.

2352 is the number of bytes of audio data in each 3234-byte "Red Book" CD-DA spec sector, the remaining bytes being used for error correction and control subcode data.

Even with proper sector/payload sizing, you can get still an audible "glitch" between tracks if a CD-R is burned in "track at once" rather than "disc at once" mode.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 20, 2013 9:35 pm

Use the appropriate timebase in Reaper (75 frames per second) and make sure that markers snap to frame boundaries.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby SableTones » Sun May 26, 2013 5:23 pm

That did the trick!

I only use Reaper to record live concerts and editing of the same.

Are there any consequences i need to be aware of when not using the default frame setting?

How did you know 75 was the right number?

many thanks for that guidance
SableTones
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 28, 2013 3:33 pm

sabletones wrote:
How did you know 75 was the right number?

That's the number of CD frames in a second. I set it as default for most of my projects. If you look at the .cue file that Reaper produces you will find that all the start marker positions are in the form Index01 mins:secs:frames. If you don't put your markers on frame boundaries your CD burining program has to pad out the preceeding track with zeros until it reaches the frame boundary.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk